Can 2 male red footed tortoises live together?

Keeks

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Fl
I recently adopted a 7 year old red foot about 3-4 weeks ago. And just this pass Sunday, I found another red footed tortoise in the middle of a busy road. Since these guys are basically large sized, I have them roaming my backyard which is about 3000 sqft. Yesterday was the first time they actually noticed each other. The first tortoise I brought home immediately started making sounds and eventually mounted the newer tortoise. I believe they are both males because their bottom shell is caved in. Am I correct on this? They seem to be fine with each other. Can 2 males live in the same area? Should I be more careful with their encounters? Is the mounting showing dominance?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. You will be advised to separate them right away! Each should have his own space.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RF tortoises may be the exception to the rule. They sometimes do ok living in either pairs or males together. You'll just have to try it and see. Just remember, your existing tortoise has established that he's living in HIS territory, and any new animal you add to it may be seen as something to chase out of the territory. Can you introduce them in a neutral territory?

Keeks

Miami, Fl
RF tortoises may be the exception to the rule. They sometimes do ok living in either pairs or males together. You'll just have to try it and see. Just remember, your existing tortoise has established that he's living in HIS territory, and any new animal you add to it may be seen as something to chase out of the territory. Can you introduce them in a neutral territory?

My first guy just seems very possessive over the new guy. Is it too late to introduce them to each other since they already made that first encounter? I can always bring them indoors together since none of them have been inside my house...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They may settle down and accept each other, or they may not. It's a crap shoot. But pay attention and if you think the new one is being stressed out by all the attention he's getting, you may need to separate their yard.

Keeks

Miami, Fl
They may settle down and accept each other, or they may not. It's a crap shoot. But pay attention and if you think the new one is being stressed out by all the attention he's getting, you may need to separate their yard.

Yeah I'm basically watching them like a hawk. This isn't forever though, my sister is keeping the newer one.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My solo female Redfoot does this to any introduced Redfoot. Male or female.
I'm sure it's because she sees that as HER territory.
Aside from that. It may be difficult to keep two sexually mature males together without 4 or 5 females.
Redfoot are amongst the calmest. If not THE calmest and most accepting tortoises. But some males are extra "frisky".
It may or may not work. Even with the 3,000 S.F. (A great size)
Make sure you put in a lot of barriers. Lots of bushes. Maybe a few doghouse type structures or sideways very large flowerpots. Things that will help them to establish their own territories with items/structures new to both of them.
Then they will likely settle down and at least not pursue each other. And not freak out when they occasionally see each other.
Whatever you do...DO NOT AD ONE FEMALE to the mix. She will be pursued to death. Literally.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tammy, what were you thinking? You are not the expert here. Keep your opinions to yourself!
No.
You are indeed correct.
But some Redfoot can bend the rules.
Hopefully this will be the case.
It would never work with say a DUO of Russians or Sulcatas...
The OP has 3,000 square feet. I'll bet with some features added to the tortoise yard, they will be ok.

whisper

5 Year Member
SE FL
I recently adopted a 7 year old red foot about 3-4 weeks ago. And just this pass Sunday, I found another red footed tortoise in the middle of a busy road. Since these guys are basically large sized, I have them roaming my backyard which is about 3000 sqft. Yesterday was the first time they actually noticed each other. The first tortoise I brought home immediately started making sounds and eventually mounted the newer tortoise. I believe they are both males because their bottom shell is caved in. Am I correct on this? They seem to be fine with each other. Can 2 males live in the same area? Should I be more careful with their encounters? Is the mounting showing dominance?

I have 3 adult males together. 1 was introduced to the original 2. They were interested in the new guy for a couple weeks. They don’t care anymore.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tammy, what were you thinking? You are not the expert here. Keep your opinions to yourself!
I hope that wasn't directed at me. Every opinion on here is valuable, and yours is more or less correct. It's just that RF tortoises are the exception to the rule. . . not EVERY RF tortoise, but in general, most of them. If you have an opinion, never be afraid to express it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I also hope this is humor & you don't feel this way. If it makes you feel bettet I can berate you all day long.:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RFs can and will do harm to each other. We've seen it here. The safe bet is to make a separate enclosure for each of them. Why take the risk? You can't watch them 24/7. Anybody remember the RF that ate the tail and back leg of its cage mate 6 weeks after we told the lady to separate them?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RFs can and will do harm to each other. We've seen it here. The safe bet is to make a separate enclosure for each of them. Why take the risk? You can't watch them 24/7. Anybody remember the RF that ate the tail and back leg of its cage mate 6 weeks after we told the lady to separate them?
It is the human primate need for others that causes us to project(anthropomorphize) those feelings onto other species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is the human primate need for others that causes us to project(anthropomorphize) those feelings onto other species.
Agreed. Most of the animals we share our lives with are social animals too. Dogs, house cats, horses, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, ducks, pigeons, parrots, cows, aquarium fish, pet rats, etc... I think this is why it is sometimes difficult for some people to grasp the concept that some animals don't want, like, or need any sort of companionship.

Keeks

Miami, Fl
My solo female Redfoot does this to any introduced Redfoot. Male or female.
I'm sure it's because she sees that as HER territory.
Aside from that. It may be difficult to keep two sexually mature males together without 4 or 5 females.
Redfoot are amongst the calmest. If not THE calmest and most accepting tortoises. But some males are extra "frisky".
It may or may not work. Even with the 3,000 S.F. (A great size)
Make sure you put in a lot of barriers. Lots of bushes. Maybe a few doghouse type structures or sideways very large flowerpots. Things that will help them to establish their own territories with items/structures new to both of them.
Then they will likely settle down and at least not pursue each other. And not freak out when they occasionally see each other.
Whatever you do...DO NOT AD ONE FEMALE to the mix. She will be pursued to death. Literally.

So much great information! Thank you for that, I appreciate it!

Keeks

Miami, Fl

I definitely won't be keeping him just because I don't want them to hurt each other. How scary!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I hope that wasn't directed at me. Every opinion on here is valuable, and yours is more or less correct. It's just that RF tortoises are the exception to the rule. . . not EVERY RF tortoise, but in general, most of them. If you have an opinion, never be afraid to express it.
Certainly not directed at you, Yvonne! I often berate myself for poking my opinions into subjects I really am sometimes of two minds about. Or three.:rolleyes:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I also hope this is humor & you don't feel this way. If it makes you feel bettet I can berate you all day long.:p
It's kind of my weird sense of humour with a bit of truth in it too. Sometimes I am sorry after I say something that sounds like I think I am an expert - and I am certainly not! But indeed, I guess every opinion has its value, especially if it is discussed and either corrected or verified.