Can a family own more then one DT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
I live in an area where DT are fairly prominent pets and I was wondering can someone possess more then one DT if they had them before 1989. I have looked at AZGFD’s website and it seems like there is an exception for anything before that date. The family I know of has had the two desert tortoises in their family for 45 years, so I was just wondering if it was illegal or not. It would seem like a shame if they had to split the pair up after 45 years of been together. Hope to hear back from some of you DT experts in AZ.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The regulations are different in each state. Here in Calif. you can have as many as you want as long as you register them with the Department of Fish and Game.

Tortoises that you had prior to when the laws regarding taking them from the wild went into existence are considered "grandfathered." But you have to be able to prove you've had them that long.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am pretty sure AZ is a one tortoise household.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Ya I think I will have to go to the game and fish building and just ask them face to face. I know now you are only allowed to have one per household, but like emysemys said I feel like there might be a grandfathered rule.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Actually, here in AZ the State regulation is "one per person" NOT PER HOUSEHOLD. So, depending on how many people live in your house.............

The "one per household" is a requirement from the adoption agencies that adopt them out.
Basically they don't want people breeding them and you probably don't want to keep more than one male. However, some captive breeding does happen and the offspring must be given away within 2 years.

We do not have to "register" them with anyone either.

This is copied from the Arizona Game and Fish web page.

Per Arizona Game and Fish Commission Rule R12-4-407 A.1, "An individual may possess, transport, or give away a desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) without a special license if that individual possessed it before April 28, 1989. An individual who possessed a desert tortoise before this date may propagate it, and hold offspring in captivity for 24 months from the date of hatching. The individual shall dispose of the offspring of desert tortoises before or at the end of the 24 months by giving them as a gift or as directed in writing by the Department. An individual who receives a desert tortoise that is given away under this Section is also exempt from the special license requirements. An individual shall not export a desert tortoise from this state unless authorized in writing by the Department."

Per Arizona Game and Fish Commission Order 43, "Possession limit is one desert tortoise per person."

The Tortoise Adoption Program Guidelines state that as of January 2008, you may adopt one desert tortoise per household.

Also check the site here. Lots of good info. :)

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/captive_tortoise_care.shtml#regulations

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great post CG. Thank you for the clarification.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Thanks cg I had asked game and fish and they said the same thing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.