Can a map and musk turtle live together?

Cajuju

Location (City and/or State)
California
I know keeping two turtles of the same species would cause issues, but is that the same for 2 species where one stays on the bottom and the other stays on the surface? For example a musk and a map turtle. I currently have a baby musk turtle in a 40 gallon breeders tank and preferable would like to add another small species of turtle, but I don’t want to worry too much about them fighting.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I am not an expert, but I believe map turtles are excellent swimmers and prefer deeper water than a musk turtle, who prefers shallow water and is not as great of a swimmer. I would have two separate habitats, personally. My map turtle is all over his tank so there would probably be territorial issues at one point.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My issue with the choice you offered is that musk turtles tend to be tail nippers. They invariably will nip off the end of the tail of a tank mate who will be resting near the surface with its tail hanging down. Musk turtles are great swimmers, though, and do very well in deep water. They prefer to walk the bottom, so some folks seem to feel the don't swim well as they maintain a slightly negative buoyancy to walk the bottom without floating too much. That causes them to paddle hard when they then want to swim to the surface. They also, when mature can be one of the few turtles that are territorial. Especially a male razorback. Stinkpots to a lesser degree to where I don't see territorial issues with them. But stinkpots are the worst at tail nipping.

Maps are some of the best swimmers. In the wild they prefer the most open water of most any turtle species in N America. Males stay very small - around 4" while females are in the 9" range. However, they both need lots of swimming room to do well. Not a great tank turtle in my opinion once they get past the juvenile stage.

Two turtles can do well together if you consider similar habitat preferences or needs. Unlike tortoises, they seek out the company of other turtles and congregate to bask and eat. Aquatics subscribe to the safety in numbers approach when it comes to basking turtles. As mentioned previously, the bottom crawlers can be more territorial and do not seek out company.

Male sliders can be quite aggressive when in the mating mode. They can also be relatively indiscriminate on who they choose to try to subdue. I will not keep male sliders in my pond at all, and certainly would not want an adult male slider in a tank. But sliders are too big for tanks in any case.

A mud, spotted, painted, and young basking turtles all can be good tankmates. Just be prepared to move basking turtles to a pond when they get larger.