Can A New Male Russian Tortoise Go With A 3 week Female Russian Tortoise?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
No.

Russians are a very scrappy tortoise, and should never be kept in pairs, especially if the two tortoises are different sizes.

Are you saying that you want to put a new male tortoise with a three week old tortoise?

Coley K

North las Vegas
No.

Russians are a very scrappy tortoise, and should never be kept in pairs, especially if the two tortoises are different sizes.

Are you saying that you want to put a new male tortoise with a three week old tortoise?
No three weeks ago i got a female tortoise, & today i just got a male tortoise, what should i do

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
No three weeks ago i got a female tortoise, & today i just got a male tortoise, what should i do

Don’t house them together. I would wait a bit before you try to breed, so that he can get used to his surroundings. However, I am no expert at all with breeding, so I would get a second opinion. However, don’t house them together yet :)

Coley K

North las Vegas
Don’t house them together. I would wait a bit before you try to breed, so that he can get used to his surroundings. However, I am no expert at all with breeding, so I would get a second opinion. However, don’t house them together yet :)
How long should i wait to try to put him in with her? 6 months?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
How long should i wait to try to put him in with her? 6 months?

I have no idea, however I have heard that you should house them completely alone until you want to breed, then you put them together once, and after they breed, put them back to being alone. But DEFINITELY wait for a second opinion, because I’m pretty much talking out of my butt right now lol

Coley K

North las Vegas
I have no idea, however I have heard that you should house them completely alone until you want to breed, then you put them together once, and after they breed, put them back to being alone. But DEFINITELY wait for a second opinion, because I’m pretty much talking out of my butt right now lol
Alright thank you for the help

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Please read this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/w...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

You'll need a very, very large enclosure and preferably 2 more females if you want to keep them together. The male will mate nonstop and will injure the female otherwise. I'm also pretty certain eggs will not be fertile until male is around 5 inches and the female is about 8 inches - but I don't know how big yours are. Also, I'm not an expert so don't quote me on any of this. However, I'd say it's best to just keep them separate for now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
House them separately all the time.

After a 6 month quarantine, and at least a couple of fecal floats done on each one, if everything seems good, you can try to introduce them for breeding. Be aware that the larger female very well may attempt to kill the male, or vice versa. Watch them closely and be prepared to separate them back into their own enclosures. Some aggression, biting and ramming is normal when they breed. You will have to judge how things are going and allow it, or stop it by separating them if it seems to be too much. Do not leave the two of them together unattended.

I would put the male into the females enclosure, but sometimes, in some situations, the reverse might be better. There are no absolutes and with russians, it can go either way sometimes.