Can a Red- eared Slider eat on land, or does it have to be underwater?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Glad you've figured out the feeding. Next you'll have to improve the tank. They are swimmers, not paddlers or soakers, and need deeper water and much more space. They also require heavy filtration, so a filter rated for two or three times the water volume works well.

Suitable glass tanks are expensive. You can use a stock tank instead and get more space for much less money. Some people make their own filters.

These guys live in ponds. They aren't like box turtles. In my experience, aquatic turtles are rather shy and not particularly friendly, even though they come over to be fed.

Number1Platypus

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
My dad built a turtle for my turtle. Once he was out of his tank and living in this he was so happy!! You could just tell. And yeah most turtles aren't too friendly but after my guy turned 5 he stopped biting people and started being wicked friendly and loves people and always wants me or my dad to hold him and he even takes naps on my dad sometimes lol so you could possibly have a nice friendly turtle too! And filters are very important. I've gone through so many you're better off spending a little more for a better one than less for one you think will be okay and then it's not and you have to buy another!

Attachments

• 1414522918625.jpg
    1414522918625.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 1414522932785.jpg
    1414522932785.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 1414522943023.jpg
    1414522943023.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 1414522950752.jpg
    1414522950752.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 1414522958492.jpg
    1414522958492.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 18

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
Glad you've figured out the feeding. Next you'll have to improve the tank. They are swimmers, not paddlers or soakers, and need deeper water and much more space. They also require heavy filtration, so a filter rated for two or three times the water volume works well.

Suitable glass tanks are expensive. You can use a stock tank instead and get more space for much less money. Some people make their own filters.

These guys live in ponds. They aren't like box turtles. In my experience, aquatic turtles are rather shy and not particularly friendly, even though they come over to be fed.
Gotcha. They are now in a 55 gallon aquarium, though a larger stock tank would really be nice! I'll do my best for them as I am able to...:)

Last edited:

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
My dad built a turtle for my turtle. Once he was out of his tank and living in this he was so happy!! You could just tell. And yeah most turtles aren't too friendly but after my guy turned 5 he stopped biting people and started being wicked friendly and loves people and always wants me or my dad to hold him and he even takes naps on my dad sometimes lol so you could possibly have a nice friendly turtle too! And filters are very important. I've gone through so many you're better off spending a little more for a better one than less for one you think will be okay and then it's not and you have to buy another!
I'll have to see how I can make things turn out. I would have to put a stock tank out back of my place, because I live in a trailer. Because it's so cold right now, I think they'll be happy just to be warm in their 55 gallon aquarium! ;)
I have two filters in their tank so the water is being cleaned from both ends. I frequently clean them, too. I'll know even better what to do as I gain more experience with keeping semi- aquatic turtles. I know that! :)

Last edited:

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
Pretty turtle, and what a pond! :D

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
I'll have to see how I can make things turn out. I would have to put a stock tank out back of my place, because I live in a trailer. Because it's so cold right now, I think they'll be happy just to be warm in their 55 gallon aquarium! ;)
Yes I'd let them stay inside too! It's so cold out I don't even like going out hahah

Wayfarin

Groveton, NH
Yes, a red-eared slider can in fact eat on land.
Watch "Tank" the turtle swallowing this shad at 1:25.

It is difficult for red-eared sliders to swallow on land. Some say that this is because they don't salivate.
I think this is false. I think they are capable of salivating.
But they appear to feed by means of suction when underwater. And they cannot do this efficiently out of water.
Their tongues are also fixed to the bottom of their mouths, and they cannot manipulate food with their tongues.
Aquatic turtles seldom try to swallow out of water, since this can risk or cause choking.
Teresa, our pond slider, cannot even swallow in shallow water.

Oddly enough, alligators also have fixed tongues, but on the contrary can only gulp down their food when they hold their heads above water. Some crocodiles can swallow underwater, but this is a rare behavior.