Can a Red- eared Slider eat on land, or does it have to be underwater?

JWineastKY

Location (City and/or State)
Powell County, Kentucky
This thread is really interesting! I hope the turtles are well soon :)
Yep, at least one of them was eating a bit a while, ago, and I was breathing a quiet sigh of relief watching her! I had just installed a filter pump in the aquarium, and she was biting at bubbles that were forming; so I went ahead and dropped in some floating turtle food for her- Viola! She started eating! I was SOOOO glad to see it, too! :D

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
Yeah I hope the turtles are doing better JWineastKY! :)
I do believe they are well on the road to recovery, thank you so very much!
Also, while I was out, today, trying to find an aquarium heater (no luck, unfortunately), I came across a woman with two turtles in a 55 gallon tank for sale. I explained I couldn't pay for them until I got my disability in November, but she said that was fine, that they weren't going anywhere.
So I now have two more turtles to look forward to next month, as well! I am feeling very blessed, indeed! :D

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I do believe they are well on the road to recovery, thank you so very much!
Also, while I was out, today, trying to find an aquarium heater (no luck, unfortunately), I came across a woman with two turtles in a 55 gallon tank for sale. I explained I couldn't pay for them until I got my disability in November, but she said that was fine, that they weren't going anywhere.
So I now have two more turtles to look forward to next month, as well! I am feeling very blessed, indeed! :D
You can order one from the internet :)

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
Do you have a store like petsmart or petco near you? And aww that's awesome!! :)
There's a Petsmart in Hamburg Pavilion, at the edge of Lexington, about 50 miles from here. Why?
And thanks! I just wish I could remember what exact kind of turtles she was going to sell me- some species I knew sounded interesting.....

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
Oh, of course! You're talking about where I can buy a heater for their aquarium. :)
Mom actually helped me out with that, today- we found one barely affordable at Walmart that we bought for them.
As soon as I got it home, I put it low in the tank for them, and plugged it up. Within several seconds, they were almost nursing it, like it was their mother! They LOVED the heat it was putting out, and stayed right beside the heater for long minutes before finally backing away from it. It's obvious they really love its' warmth, though! :D
Just though I'd add- I dipped in my finger to check the water temperature last night, and it was CHILLY! I re- dipped it in just a while ago to check the temperature, and it had warmed up noticeably compared to what it had been, so those two are getting a better and better deal out of life! :D

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
Yayy that's awesome!! they sure sound happy :) they're deff meant to be in the warmth so they're probably loving you right now!! And the turtles the lady is giving you are aquatic right? I know there are red ear sliders, yellow bellied sliders, musk turtles, and African side necks, maybe it was one of those? Either way I'm sure they're awesome!

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
Yayy that's awesome!! they sure sound happy :) they're deff meant to be in the warmth so they're probably loving you right now!! And the turtles the lady is giving you are aquatic right? I know there are red ear sliders, yellow bellied sliders, musk turtles, and African side necks, maybe it was one of those? Either way I'm sure they're awesome!
Yeah, I sure HOPE they love me, now, after all I've done to try to warm them up so they can eat! Hahaha! :D
I believe the girl said she was going to sell me a Yellow- Bellied Slider and a Musk turtle, if I remember correctly....I'm already anticipating getting them- gonna be fun- and a new learning experience for me! :D

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
Yeah, I sure HOPE they love me, now, after all I've done to try to warm them up so they can eat! Hahaha! :D
I believe the girl said she was going to sell me a Yellow- Bellied Slider and a Musk turtle, if I remember correctly....I'm already anticipating getting them- gonna be fun- and a new learning experience for me! :D
I'm sure they do!!! :) and that's cool! My turtle is half yellow bellied and I've seen musk turtles, they're cool looking. I hope you enjoy them all!

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
Well, I have an update on my RES: this morning I put some turtle food in the water near their heads, and I was rewarded by seeing, for the first time, ever, BOTH of them grabbing at and gobbling their food down! It was a wonderful moment for me, and I also got a good laugh out of them jostling at each other to get to the food, first!
Well, before I had to go (had to run some errands), I went ahead and fed them some extra pinches of food. I'll make sure they are getting plenty. It is just so nice to see both of them eating so heartily! :D