Can a tortoise have too much fiber?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Wow. Guess this one stumped 'em!
What species of tortoises, what do you call "fiber"? Recommended food for a specific tortoise, yes, that food being high in fiber...I don't see a problem if the overall diet is a good one.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Wow. Guess this one stumped 'em!
What species of tortoises, what do you call "fiber"? Recommended food for a specific tortoise, yes, that food being high in fiber...I don't see a problem if the overall diet is a good one.
Ahh so many responses, thank you all. I’m talking about Mediterranean species, Greek tortoises to be specific. I’ve noticed that if I feed mine too many fiber rich pellets they get constipated. What’s that all about?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ahh so many responses, thank you all. I’m talking about Mediterranean species, Greek tortoises to be specific. I’ve noticed that if I feed mine too many fiber rich pellets they get constipated. What’s that all about?
Over to the experts!!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Pellets vs natural grass and weeds. Pellets are very dry....so, I’m sure they suck a lot of the moisture out of a torts digestive system and cause constipation. If feeding lots of pelleted food, id supplement with lots of opuntia and aloe and other moisture rich food sources.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Pellets vs natural grass and weeds. Pellets are very dry....so, I’m sure they suck a lot of the moisture out of a torts digestive system and cause constipation. If feeding lots of pelleted food, id supplement with lots of opuntia and aloe and other moisture rich food sources.
That’s very interesting, I’ve got to own up to the fact that last winter (my first winter with the torts) I did use a lot of store bought greens as there was literally no weeds about. I used Zoo med grassland tortoise diet as a fiber supplement and as you said, this did make the stools a little dry and firmer than I would like. Now that it’s warmer I have access to a whole load of weeds and so those pellets are in a draw for next winter:D

Thanks everyone

Ben

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
so those pellets are in a draw for next winter:D

Thanks everyone

Ben

Ben,
Throughout the year I supplement my tortoises food with Mazuri tortoise chow. These are dry pellets. Before feeding them I soak the pellets until they are good and mushy. No lack of water in those although the stool is still solid.