Can a tortoise live happily with being blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston TX
A couple days ago my baby red foots got attack by ants and I think might go blind. There eye lids haven't opened yet and ive treated it with vitamin A eye drops but it's only been two days so I'm not sure if they will work. But can a tortoise live blind and happy?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I would imagine so. I have a friend who has a blind rabbit and I've had quite a few blind cats and dogs I've known in the day.

It'd take getting used to, but I am pretty sure it would be able to adapt to it.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I had a box turtle who was attacked by ants. It's eyes were bitten and sealed shut. It took 5 or 6 days but they eventually just got better on their own. The ants heads were still attached to the eyelids when I found her!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WOW, what kind of ants do you have that they are attacking your torts? I sure hope they recover. Isn't there something you can do to prevent the ants from getting to them? I have read where I believe corn meal or even oat meal is suppose to work on keeping them away, actually I believe it kills them. Good luck

Check out this thread. Lots of advice for ridding ants that are tort safe.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Using-cornmeal-to-kill-ants-safe-for-torts#axzz2311rc2Ma

steven101

5 Year Member
Houston TX
wellington said:
WOW, what kind of ants do you have that they are attacking your torts? I sure hope they recover. Isn't there something you can do to prevent the ants from getting to them? I have read where I believe corn meal or even oat meal is suppose to work on keeping them away, actually I believe it kills them. Good luck

I think they were fire ants and I think they went in there enclosure because of it being wet.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Do not give up hope yet.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Ants never seem to bother my tort. Perhaps due to his larger size?

They walk over him, but just seem to leave him alone otherwise....

steven101

5 Year Member
Houston TX
I won't and ima try the corn meal because I plan on getting one or two big red foot tortoise and can't have ant bothering them

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh my...that is horrible....poor tort....are you offering cool clean water eye flush (gentle pressure) to at least relieve some of the pain and sooth the eyes....did you find the tortoise covered in ants or how did you determine the eye issue is from ants??

I have heard that if you need to suture a wound and you are able to get your hands on enough of the big black ants, you can push your skin together....grab the ant and **** it off until it bites where you want it to and then pinch off the body and leave the head--theory is it will continue to hold fairly tight to help keep a wound closed.....I read this in some survival article once....my son had a big black ant bite onto his flip flop and simply would not let go...he had to keep poking and pushing the ant and it finally was knocked off...creeeeepy ants.

steven101

5 Year Member
Houston TX
yea they weren't covered with them but they had a lot on them and im giving them the vitamin A eye drops... and the eyes were open and healthy when I took them out, I all was give them a stable diet so that maybe why they are still alive cause they were very healthy but now they are sluggish and barley eating.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Poor guys! Keep working with them and I think they will come around. How big are the tortoises? You said babies, are they really young ones?

steven101

5 Year Member
Houston TX
about 2 - 2 1/2 inches an im not sure how old they are a friend gave them to me. so probably about a year

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
steven101 said:
I won't and ima try the corn meal because I plan on getting one or two big red foot tortoise and can't have ant bothering them

Uncooked grits seems to work faster than corn meal...just don't use "instant" grits, because they don't seem to be effective.

Hope your torts get well, but if not, they'll probably adapt to blindness...may have to put them in front of their food for a while, but they'll get it figured out.

steven101

5 Year Member
Houston TX
Good news they are eating moving around a lot and opening there eyes a little. I also killed the ant mound, it was in the garden next to the pen.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
ascott said:
I have heard that if you need to suture a wound and you are able to get your hands on enough of the big black ants, you can push your skin together....grab the ant and **** it off until it bites where you want it to and then pinch off the body and leave the head--theory is it will continue to hold fairly tight to help keep a wound closed.....

That is insane! What a mind boggling bit of info I hope I never have to use yet hope I remember if I do need to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.