can a tortoise overeat?

steam roller

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Is that true "they will stuff themselves till they burst"? How will I know if I'm overfeeding???

Last edited by a moderator:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Is that true "they will stuff themselves till they burst"? How will I know if I'm overfeeding???
No, it's not true that they will stuff themselves until they burst. Also pyramiding is related to the conditions in which they're kept, and diet is at best a small part of that.

puffy137

I only feed mine once a day in the morning, There are 25 all told. So about half a romaine lettuce & some stalks of coriander or cucumber peelings etc etc . Even if I put out 3 times as much it would still disappear. So I will not kill them with kindness, which is a bad fault. BUT the only exception is to make sure that the babies have a good feed. at least 2 hours of chomping away, free from the older ones , who would scoff the lot before the babies could eat their fill.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

No. That is not true. But they can put away a lot of food. If you are feeding the right foods and housing them correctly, there is no "overfeeding". You've got a sulcata, right?

Feed him as much grass, grass hay, mulberry, hibiscus or grape leaves, spineless opuntia cactus pads, and the right weeds as his little heart desires. If you are feeding a lot of grocery store stuff, then you'll need to amend it with finely chopped rehydrated grass hay, or fresh grass, if your climate allows.

Here are some sulcata feeding suggestions:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The thing is, you have to look at the big picture. Will they burst if they over eat? No, however, without enough exercise a tortoise will get pretty fat if he overeats. Especially Russian tortoises. You probably don't have to worry about overfeeding your sulcata, because you know he's big so you provide him a large area. But people keeping Russians think because they're small they don't require much room. And overfeeding a Russian tortoise that can't get a lot of walking around time ends up with an obese Russian tortoise. (But not a burst one)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also, if the torts diet is mainly based on free grazing...then nope, they won't over eat...if they are strictly a market diet, then yes, they can---over feeding market greens and low level of activity can add some pounds...but if that is good or bad would entirely depend on the species of tort we are discussing...if you are dealing with a species that will brumate, then letting the tort eat its fill is fine...if a non brumating species, then a bit more regulation of diet quantity would be beneficial...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I ask cause I have a sulcata hatchling that seems to be fatter then the others. When he pulls into his shell I notice his skin puffs out a lot.
Possibly if they can't pull their head in at all? That would raise few flags! :confused:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
(POP) damn there goes another one.

A tortoise that is over weight, can't pull itself into it's shell.

(POP), there goes another one.