Can anyone estimate the age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, UK
People keep asking me how old my torts are, and as the lady i bought them off changed their ages about 3 times, so i dont think she actually knew. It'd be nice to know a rough estimate if anyone could possibly help?
They are both Western Bells Hingebacks as both only have 4 toes on the front feet. The larger is female and weighs 1300g today, the smaller male weights 620g. He's sexually mature but so much smaller than her. I was told they were anywhere between 4 and 12 on various occasions, so i really have no idea. The female is said to have laid eggs for 4 years if that is any help. :)
The vet advised me to take some ID photos back in may, so hopefully they may help.

tumblr_mm8k3d1e6n1snjg0lo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mm8k3d1e6n1snjg0lo7_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mm8jvochlV1snjg0lo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mm8jvochlV1snjg0lo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmdzbh2Om31snjg0lo1_500.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Jov,
Its almost always impossible to know for sure unless they are known captives, and hatch date is given. WC or even ltc are just going to be a guess. Given that they are bellianna, and the male is around 7" and female 8.5" they still have some size they can put on. I would say anywhere from 10+ years. Bells can grow pretty fast from hatchling to 1 year of age wild, and grow slower or even faster in captivity. So its very very hard to be even close to accurate for yah. But they are mature I can you that. Also they look awesome. Nice specimens. Have you gotten any eggs yet?

Jovski

5 Year Member
Lancashire, UK
ah cool. A friend managed to get an estimate for her horsfield so i wondered if possible with these - hers was only 3 or so though. Im not actively breeding them at the moment because the female is having issues with parasites - though they've mated before and i may get eggs yet :) I was told they lay eggs November through January, but phoebe has put weight lately and is attacking her cuttlebones like crazy so im keeping an eye on her :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*fingers crossed* that she is indeed getting ready to gift you with eggs. We need more of these guys! :D

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
They are actually quite common here in the British Isles as WC or LTC, but not so much CB-we have 4 breeders as far as I know. On Shelled Warriors we decided these because of the price must be CF in Africa http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/bells-hinged-back-tortoise.html but as you can see they are not extremely rare now-a breeder up in the north east of England is selling them for £175, a tad under US $270

Status
Not open for further replies.