Can anyone help me figure out species?

Neil909

My wife brought home a newborn "sulcata" tortoise today. One of her friends from work was looking for a good home for it and she figured since we have a 2 year old sulcata she knew what was best for it and asked if she could bring it home. Upon arrival I became suspicious because of its lack of spurs on its front legs. So I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of tortoise this is so I can give it the care it deserves. Let me know what to take pictures of and I will,IMG_20170828_202927.jpg Thanks in advance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Where are you? CA or AZ?

That looks like a Gopherus species. A desert tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Southern California. Thank you that's what I'm thinking as well.

Gopherus agassizii.

I typed this up for russian tortoises, but care for Desert Tortoises is the same.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Most of the care info out in the world for this species is wrong and will result in their death in one way or another. They need hydration. Soak this baby every day until it is over 100 grams. At that point, you can begin skipping a day occasionally. Also add more grass and opuntia pads to the diet for this species.

If you have any questions about soaking details, diet, how and where to house them, etc…, don't hesitate to ask.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Neil!

The desert tortoise is a protected species. You'll need to apply for a permit to keep the tortoise. You can contact any of the chapters of the California Turtle and Tortoise club for the paperwork.

I don't know your experience level, or what all you know about tortoises, so please forgive me if you already know these things:

Never mix species. You're not going to be able to put the two tortoises (sulcata and desert ) in the same habitat. They will each need their own space. "They" think that the origin of our desert tortoises' upper respiratory distress syndrome, the illness that is killing off the wild desert tortoises, originally came for exotic tortoises that people released into our desert. So, putting your two tortoises together may end up with them becoming ill or even dead.

Your new little baby looks quite dry. He needs to be set up in a warm, humid, covered tub, and soaked for at least 15 minutes daily.

Neil909

Welcome to the Forum, Neil!

The desert tortoise is a protected species. You'll need to apply for a permit to keep the tortoise. You can contact any of the chapters of the California Turtle and Tortoise club for the paperwork.

I don't know your experience level, or what all you know about tortoises, so please forgive me if you already know these things:

Never mix species. You're not going to be able to put the two tortoises (sulcata and desert ) in the same habitat. They will each need their own space. "They" think that the origin of our desert tortoises' upper respiratory distress syndrome, the illness that is killing off the wild desert tortoises, originally came for exotic tortoises that people released into our desert. So, putting your two tortoises together may end up with them becoming ill or even dead.

Your new little baby looks quite dry. He needs to be set up in a warm, humid, covered tub, and soaked for at least 15 minutes daily.
Thank you for the info! I soaked him before bed last night and I woke up to find him sleeping in the little humid hide I made him.
I also printed out the permit forms and will fill them out when I get home later.

Thanks again for all the info!