can anyone help me identify this species ?

towts777

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
Hi All,

Hope you are all doing well.

I have looked after Greek tortoises for a number of years, and i recently adopted this guy (809 grams). He's a lot bigger than the greeks i've had before. Thus, I was hoping if somebody could please help me identify his species, maybe he is a greek after all or maybe another species? im not too sure.

Btw - you will notice in the first two pics, he has some sort of growth on the top left of his head, is this common or any idea what this might be? Unfortunately, it seems he wasnt best cared for so far in his life, so I hope to give him the best I can.

Really appreciate any feedback. Pics below

Many thanks.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
This is definitely a Greek, and looks to be the terrestris (or Mesopotamian) subspecies, making it a Testudo graeca terrestris. 800 g is a on the heavy side for a male, but there can be a lot of variation in both size and coloration. I would guess this is a Syrian locale of T.g. terrestris.

towts777

Dubai
This is definitely a Greek, and looks to be the terrestris (or Mesopotamian) subspecies, making it a Testudo graeca terrestris. 800 g is a on the heavy side for a male, but there can be a lot of variation in both size and coloration. I would guess this is a Syrian locale of T.g. terrestris.

Thank you very much, both @TeamZissou and @Yvonne G, for your help and feedback. I thought he had the characteristics of a greek, but the size of him surprised me. My biggest greek previously weighed around 500 gms, so this guy is a good chunk bigger.

all the best,
Towts.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum, @towts777 .

That's an adorable tort. God bless.

Btw, even I have a Greek tort (Oli), and I live in Jordan - relatively near to Dubai.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome! Can we see some more pictures of his head with the lump?