Can Anyone Help Me PLEASE (hibernation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mippy1970

5 Year Member
I live in Cyprus and was given 2 Mediterranean tortoise when they left the island one is 8 yrs old the other is 6 male & female. They went into hibernation the beginning of December. I have put them in a box in a cupboard under the stairs. My problem is this our temperatures in Cyprus are very warm in the day now its 20 degrees but at night it goes down to about 11 degrees...........how long will they hibernate for? are they ok in a box filled with hay under the stairs? will they wake on there own. I have looked on the web too much conflicting advice as i dont live in a cold country. Any advice for now and future would be gratefully received as i know very little. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I can only tell you what I do, as I'm not familiar with your country/climate or that type of tortoise. For my desert tortoises, I place them in boxes of shredded paper and place the box in an area where the temperature will be below 50F and above 40F. In the spring when I hear them scratching around, I get them out of the boxes, soak them and put them outside in their pens. At night I make sure they are all inside their houses.

mippy1970

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I can only tell you what I do, as I'm not familiar with your country/climate or that type of tortoise. For my desert tortoises, I place them in boxes of shredded paper and place the box in an area where the temperature will be below 50F and above 40F. In the spring when I hear them scratching around, I get them out of the boxes, soak them and put them outside in their pens. At night I make sure they are all inside their houses.

thank you yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.