Can anyone help me what type this is ?

CuriousTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
swansea
I work at a pet store, we dont sell reptiles, but someone dumped this guy/girl at our store today, ive taken it home and given it some heat and uvb light. I think it kinda looks like a hermanns or a horsefield? Or am i waswansea.jpg aaay off?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
That looks like a Russian tortoise to me, but I can’t say with any certainty.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Oh awesome, thank you all ! It fits in the palm of my hand, any idea about what age it could be?
Without a hatch date, there's no definite answer for age. Tortoises grow at different rates.

Perfect example: These 2 Russians of mine are from the same clutch, and hatched the same day (July 31, 2018). Both are over a year old now, been housed separately since 2 months of age, and one is growing slower than the other. Same diet, same lights, same temps, everything.IMG_20190731_043323.jpeg

CuriousTortoise

swansea
Without a hatch date, there's no definite answer for age. Tortoises grow at different rates.

Perfect example: These 2 Russians of mine are from the same clutch, and hatched the same day (July 31, 2018). Both are over a year old now, been housed separately since 2 months of age, and one is growing slower than the other. Same diet, same lights, same temps, everything.View attachment 280450

Wow, that is insane...cool, but insane =D

Oh, and does it look like its pyramiding?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you, I'll check the forums for tips for it not to get worse

I’d start with some long soaks. You can’t fix the existing growth but new growth will be smoother. It doesn’t hurt the turtle, so don’t worry about that piece of it.

Russians are on the bumpier side in general and as adults don’t need/aren’t suited to a damp environment. I wouldn’t suggest a damp environment for too long. You’ll need a real expert to help with this, however.

I suggest you start a new thread with a title asking how to help with Russian pyramiding. Include the picture you posted here.

CuriousTortoise

swansea
I’d start with some long soaks. You can’t fix the existing growth but new growth will be smoother. It doesn’t hurt the turtle, so don’t worry about that piece of it.

Russians are on the bumpier side in general and as adults don’t need/aren’t suited to a damp environment. I wouldn’t suggest a damp environment for too long. You’ll need a real expert to help with this, however.

I suggest you start a new thread with a title asking how to help with Russian pyramiding. Include the picture you posted here.
Thank you :) i'll do some photos and start a new thread for it.