Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubletorts

5 Year Member
I'm new on learning the different kinds of bedding that can be used, but can anyone tell me if there is a difference between Sphagnum moss, peat moss, and coco coir? I've seen many people on here swear by coco coir but I can't seem to find where to buy it except for in small quantities. However, I have found both peat moss and sphagnum moss at home depot for cheap and both in big bags.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I can't help much, I buy my coir in the expanding bricks. So it looks like your not getting much bedding, but once you add water it expands out several times more then the brick size.

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
I can't help much, I buy my coir in the expanding bricks. So it looks like your not getting much bedding, but once you add water it expands out several times more then the brick size.

No, it does. :) where do you get yours? At a pet store, or does a gardening store sell it maybe?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I see them sold at Pet stores, but mine I get at a nearby Earl May's Garden Center in their pet department. Normally you see the three bricks in a package sold, but some do sell one brick packages. I think it's like the three bricks are just under $10.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
You can get coco coir at most pet stores, it comes in compressed bricks that you soak in warm (some use boiling) water to expand. I've seen it available in 1 or 3 brick quantities. This stuff retains a lot of moisture - it's like a sponge - so wring it out well before you pile it into your enclosure. When I soaked it, it grew to ~3 times the initial dehydrate brick in volume.

Peat Moss is usually very fine particulates, like saw dust, and can be decent for mixing with other soil substrates as a substitute for sand or to boost the water retaining capacity of the substrate. If you find sphagnum moss, be sure it's "Long Fiber" or "Long Strand" otherwise it will be milled like the peat moss I just described. This stuff could act as a respiratory irritant if it dries out because it floats around in the air very easily (I'm talking the heavily milled mosses, it really is like saw dust or baking flour).

As I'm sure you're aware, Cypress mulch, hardwood mulch, and orchid bark are also good substrates. I don't know what kind of tortoise you have and this will dictate what you might be looking for. I have a couple Redfoots and I use a base of organic topsoil (~2 inches thick) topped with ~3 inches of cypress mulch. It's worked very well for retaining humidity and reducing shell rot so far. I put a heat rope beneath the substrate to boost humidity (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes) I bought a huge bag of cypress mulch from Lowe's for ~$3.50.

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
You can get coco coir at most pet stores, it comes in compressed bricks that you soak in warm (some use boiling) water to expand. I've seen it available in 1 or 3 brick quantities. This stuff retains a lot of moisture - it's like a sponge - so wring it out well before you pile it into your enclosure. When I soaked it, it grew to ~3 times the initial dehydrate brick in volume.

Peat Moss is usually very fine particulates, like saw dust, and can be decent for mixing with other soil substrates as a substitute for sand or to boost the water retaining capacity of the substrate. If you find sphagnum moss, be sure it's "Long Fiber" or "Long Strand" otherwise it will be milled like the peat moss I just described. This stuff could act as a respiratory irritant if it dries out because it floats around in the air very easily (I'm talking the heavily milled mosses, it really is like saw dust or baking flour).

As I'm sure you're aware, Cypress mulch, hardwood mulch, and orchid bark are also good substrates. I don't know what kind of tortoise you have and this will dictate what you might be looking for. I have a couple Redfoots and I use a base of organic topsoil (~2 inches thick) topped with ~3 inches of cypress mulch. It's worked very well for retaining humidity and reducing shell rot so far. I put a heat rope beneath the substrate to boost humidity (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes) I bought a huge bag of cypress mulch from Lowe's for ~$3.50.

Thanks, this really helps. I wasn't sure. Because some of it looks similar to the next but I wanted to make sure I got substrate that would work for them. I have 2 Sulcatas (sorry I didn't mention). I have used the mulch before but it seemed to irritate their eyes so I took it out.

Zamric said:
Petsmart sells it by the brick

That, surprisingly, was where I found it the cheapest.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Not surprizing to me at all! I do all the shopping for a Montessori School and the Head Mistress insist that all 20 classrooms have at least 1 animal to take care of.... most classrooms have more than 1! I spend LOTS of money on pet supplies.... Petsmart has proven time after time to offer the best deals for my pet needs!

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
Not surprizing to me at all! I do all the shopping for a Montessori School and the Head Mistress insist that all 20 classrooms have at least 1 animal to take care of.... most classrooms have more than 1! I spend LOTS of money on pet supplies.... Petsmart has proven time after time to offer the best deals for my pet needs!

Yeah, I love petsmart, but they tend to be more expensive compared to other stores around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.