Can anyone identify this Plant.

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Coeur D Alene,ID
Took Nala out today and She Nibbled on this type of Plant. Is it Safe or Not? Thanks for your time .

Attachments

• IMG_20220526_131203__01.jpg
    IMG_20220526_131203__01.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 7

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Almost looks like ground ivy to me. Does it get little purple flowers on it?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
If it does, then it's just common ground ivy. I have tons of it in my yard. My sulcata will nibble at it from time to time, but he usually turns his nose up at it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Take a look in here…

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are a couple weeds that look similar:

Creeping charlie is toxic:

1653659656011.png

but purple dead nettle is edible:

1653659744836.png

Carolina geranium is edible:

1653659851594.png

Because there are several plants that look similar I suggest you pull one of them up by the roots and take it to a nursery for identification.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Could it be Sanguinaria canadensis (bloodroot) ?
If you google it you'll find lots of pictures to compare.
It's not listed on the tortoise table.

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Coeur D Alene,ID
Thank You ALL for Replying. In that link you provided the Second photo is an Exact match for a plant that I do see on the outer edges of the back lawn. I'm taking Yvonne's advice and Pulling everything up but the grass and dandelions.. Thanks Again for all your Time and Advice.

Attachments

• VID_20220526_130539.mp4
    24.9 MB

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I can't quite figure out why/how this plant qualifies as "bad," it's just another one of the many plants in the mint/herb family. Rather, I should say I can't quite figure out why the Tortoise Table marks this plant as "bad" just because it can be problematic to mammals who ingest a ton. Reptiles aren't mammals last I checked!

It's perfectly fine to pull out anything that makes you uncomfortable, it's just that the "science" attached to this assessment seems misdirected at reptiles.

Given that it's in this plant family it probably smells and tastes quite strong, to the point many tortoises wouldn't eat it anyway. But again, do what feel right to you; you're the owner, not any of us!

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
I can't quite figure out why/how this plant qualifies as "bad," it's just another one of the many plants in the mint/herb family. Rather, I should say I can't quite figure out why the Tortoise Table marks this plant as "bad" just because it can be problematic to mammals who ingest a ton. Reptiles aren't mammals last I checked!

It's perfectly fine to pull out anything that makes you uncomfortable, it's just that the "science" attached to this assessment seems misdirected at reptiles.

Given that it's in this plant family it probably smells and tastes quite strong, to the point many tortoises wouldn't eat it anyway. But again, do what feel right to you; you're the owner, not any of us!

I'm in the same boat. Animals are pretty good at finding the good edible stuff when there's plenty available. Even my guinea pigs sometimes partake of ground ivy when foraging and it doesn't affect their digestion. A lot of good edible things thrive underneath ground cover (like clover and wild strawberries).

On the other hand, we are their protectors, and there's always the chance that your pet is the random one that decides to eat an entire row of lily and top it off with a can of gasoline.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
On the other hand, we are their protectors, and there's always the chance that your pet is the random one that decides to eat an entire row of lily and top it off with a can of gasoline.
True enough. Probably a sulcata; they always seem like dogs to me, seems like they will eat anything.

Guts

Tennessee
It looks like a variety of wild geranium to me which my sulcata seems to enjoy, picture this app agrees geranium sp.!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It looks like a variety of wild geranium to me which my sulcata seems to enjoy, picture this app agrees geranium sp.!
That was my thought also but we don't have ground ivy so couldn't make an informed guess!