Can anyone identify this tortoise species?

davidattenborough

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
IMG_3307.jpg IMG_3308.jpg

I found this tortoise near my cabin in southern Missouri. I’ve seen him the past two years I’ve been down there and I’m wondering if anybody knows what it is? I let him go after taking these pictures and made sure he was ok

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
No idea really....maybe a kind of box turtle? someone else will know. He's cute.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh thanks, I didn’t really think of it being turtle because it was quite a ways from water and it was just out walking in the woods

All tortoise are in fact turtles. Either they belong to Testudines or Chelonia. Reptiles covered in a bony shell. But not all turtle are tortoise. Just remember that tortoise are exclusively land dwellers. Not all turtles are tortoise...some Box and Wood turtles are referred to as tortoise, although that is not correct.

Testudinid back feet generally will resemble elephant like feet as well as their front feet are not flipper like....vs turtle have front flipper type feet and webbed back feet....also, generally speaking a true tortoise is more vegetarian vs turtle, who are generally more omnivorous.....I hope I explained that a bit ???? :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh thanks, I didn’t really think of it being turtle because it was quite a ways from water and it was just out walking in the woods
Box turtles live on land.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
All tortoises are turtles but some are more turtles than others.:confused:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
They really shouldn’t be called turtles at all but the name stuck and here we are.

We’ve got a section on box turtles if you’d like to learn more.

Thank you for putting him back where you found him!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
They really shouldn’t be called turtles at all but the name stuck and here we are.

We’ve got a section on box turtles if you’d like to learn more.

Thank you for putting him back where you found him!

YES- they are turtles, their care is very different than torts. They need water, they enjoy soaking in it, and their diet is different.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
YES- they are turtles, their care is very different than torts. They need water, they enjoy soaking in it, and their diet is different.

Ugh, I don’t know what I was thinking. That true turtles can only eat while they are *in* water, perhaps.

Lots of tortoises like water and some eat animal protein; can you help me understand why boxies are indeed turtles? I don’t see any webbed feet or a shallow shell, which are things I would expect to see. I know next to nothing about box turtles (obviously!) and could benefit from your insight.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Ugh, I don’t know what I was thinking. That true turtles can only eat while they are *in* water, perhaps.

Lots of tortoises like water and some eat animal protein; can you help me understand why boxies are indeed turtles? I don’t see any webbed feet or a shallow shell, which are things I would expect to see. I know next to nothing about box turtles (obviously!) and could benefit from your insight.

Read thru this thread when you have time. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtles-are-turtles.40076/

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
That looks like a 3-toed boxy and i can vouch for the fact that they like floating on the water for long periods sometimes. They can also eat in the water although they might be inept at it and lose the food if it sinks. They can even submerge a little.
I also once saw one crossing scorching hot asphalt on a sunny 95 degree day. And i see them wandering around seemingly fine during extended Arkansas summer droughts.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
This is a 3 toed box turtle and Missouri is a natural range for this subspecies. Like Loohan stated, 3 toeds do very well in woodland, grassy prairies, semi-marsh conditions, and they can swim(on the contrary to what some believe). Diet...they are omnivores and foragers...meaning they will take the time to eat fungi and plant matter...hunt for insects, grubs, worm, etc.....but will also scavenge upon dead carcasses such as birds, fish, small animals, etc. I have a male 3 toed that will spend majority of his days in the summer wading in one of the ornamental ponds....Gulf Coast Box turtles spend most of the time in low lying water areas...certain subspecies of box turtles are more aquatic and spend majority of their time in water like the Yucatán box turtle. Box turtles ability to adapt to environmental changes is what always fascinated me about them...along with the variance of colors, shell patterns, personalities, and ranges. Just note if this is a wild box turtle, please place it back in a safe area near where you found it;)

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
They can swim surprisingly fast, even. Last summer once i went boating on my new pond with adolescent Felter. He hung out on the kayak like a hood ornament, either checking out the surroundings or staring back at me like i'm nuts. Then he would dive in and make a desperate break for the shadiest shore. I would have to hustle to head him off.