Can anyone identify this weed? Florida

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
So I just moved back to my house where there are tons of weeds and no known chemical use. I just can’t find the name of these guys on google so figured I’d ask. These 2 weeds grow all over my front yard. The first two pics I think is some sort of nettle? And then second two pics grows in a vine and tangled around all my plants. Safe to feed to a Leo?

5A55FE49-B1E7-49B9-B3B3-341C5287EF12.jpeg 625C500C-9173-4A4F-BEDD-F375288A77B4.jpeg 1467958E-3B92-490D-B970-D7CF81A8F349.jpeg 5FF62237-B9BF-4842-803A-AB1709931D14.jpeg

5A55FE49-B1E7-49B9-B3B3-341C5287EF12.jpeg 625C500C-9173-4A4F-BEDD-F375288A77B4.jpeg 1467958E-3B92-490D-B970-D7CF81A8F349.jpeg 5FF62237-B9BF-4842-803A-AB1709931D14.jpeg

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
First one is lavender tassleflower (Emilia sonchifolia). I can’t find reliable info on its toxicity. I have seen native gopher torts eating it but I don’t feed it to my RFs. My side yard is all weeds and I feed them only known safe ones.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I have read that tassleflower can cause liver problems in humans, don’t know about torts. Plentiful in my yard too but why risk it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The top two plants my RF eat along with purselane from the yard. But not regularly.
So, I can say that it doesn't cause immediate issues if consumed.
But can't say if it' harmful in large quantities.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Tassel weed is in the sunflower family, if that helps. Generally, sunflowers are safe in moderation.

It would be a shame if tortoises don’t eat that vine. So much fiber and probably calcium too. :( We feed a vine from the same family—bitter melon—and my Russian loves it; more than squash vines!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
That vine has a distinct smell to it if you crush it in your fingers and grows an orange pod/fruit of some kind.
I've always assumed it was poisonous. It doesn't smell very palatable.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
That vine has a distinct smell to it if you crush it in your fingers and grows an orange pod/fruit of some kind.
I've always assumed it was poisonous. It doesn't smell very palatable.

Bittermelon is the same, smells odd and the fruit tastes between a cucumber and melon. And obviously very bitter! The fruits look similarly prickly, but stay green. An aquired taste. Very popular here as a Chinese vegetable, both vines and fruit. The bottom picture shows the mature fruits I see for sale here. The leaves are used for cooking and tea.

It’s in the melon/cucumber family; I think people don’t always agree on feeding melon vines?

At any rate, it’s a regular feed at our house, largely because of the fiber content and easy accessability. She’s never had the fruit, just vines.

41835487-216B-47C7-BD85-96D8CA8B7E12.jpeg

32F3476E-FB69-426A-AC4C-5DAA72A41DB4.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'll see if any of the vines we have here have a fruit on them when I get home this afternoon. I'll try to get a photo.
It creeps over shrubs and bushes and keeps coming back.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think the second is called balsam apple vine. Previous posts said leaves are safe but torts don’t really care for them... darn
Cool!
I googled Balsam Apple vine. That IS It indeed.
Glad to know it isn't poisonous. Just a PITA to get rid of..

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Fresno, CA
Bitter melon is absolutely digusting. I'm Chinese and my parents cook it occassionally, they like it, something about it being an acquired taste. But it's literally the most bitter thing you can bite into. I tried to get Hop to eat the balsam apple leaves...didn't touch it. But then again, he's the pickiest tort I know.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Bitter melon is absolutely digusting. I'm Chinese and my parents cook it occassionally, they like it, something about it being an acquired taste. But it's literally the most bitter thing you can bite into. I tried to get Hop to eat the balsam apple leaves...didn't touch it. But then again, he's the pickiest tort I know.

They’re all picky, aren’t they? I tried a new vendor for bitter melon this week and she barely touched it.

I don’t know if it’s the worst? Methi is pretty intense. Russians grow up eating pretty bitter stuff; I’m amazed at the stuff she’ll eat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought the first one was smooth sow thistle, and the second Virginia creeper?????

I guess I'm losing my touch.

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Fresno, CA
Also just found this list of plants that gopher torts eat. Figured it could help narrow down lists for any keepers in florida. These are just weeds that are commonly found here and eaten by gopher torts.

file:///C:/Users/MedStudent/Downloads/Table_3_Important_GT_Native_Food_Plants.pdf