Can anyone identify what type of tortoise this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosey

5 Year Member
2.jpg3.jpgThis friendly guy is at a horrible pet store here in town. As you can see he has some shell problems. I would really like to "rescue" this tortoise and give it a better home but I know nothing about it. Can anyone tell me what type of tortoise he is?

Last edited by a moderator:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I can not get the picture to enlarge, looks like a terrapin?

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
I DONT KNOW , POOR FELLOW. HOPE SOME ONE CAN HELP YOU. COULD IT BE SOME KIND OF WOOD TURTLE?

Rosey

5 Year Member
From pictures of Terrapins he doesnt look like that. But I could be wrong. He has a very yellow head and agae growing all over him because is all he does is sit in his water. His plastron is very very flat and his head is flat on top as well. I tried to take the best pics I could. I used a different format on these pics so you should be able to enlarge?

2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be one of the Asian box turtles. Cuora something or other (maybe pani?) They are semi-aquatic.

Rosey

5 Year Member
They are the worst pet store ever. This guy is in horrible shape. They say they clean the algae off of him but he is covered in it. I went in there to see a rabbit they have, they take much better care of their mammals. I think they just dont know how to care for reptiles. After checking several pictures he does appear to be an Asian Box Turtle. Thanks so much for helping me!

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
I am pretty sure it is a Cuora (Cistoclemy) flavomarginata, the yellow margined box turtle. Where are you located?

Rosey

5 Year Member
Yes! he is an yellow margined box turtle. Is that a form of Asian box turtle?

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
I have a Cuora flavomarginata, it's a Cuora for sure, not 100% sure if it's Flavormarginata, the yellow stripe is not very obvious across her back, and the stripe is not raised neither.

Since there are many Cuoras, you should do some research on this genus, there are many Asian Cuoras that are critically endengered.

Check this list for critically endangered turtle/tortoises.
http://www.turtlesurvival.org/storage/documents/top_25_turtles_in_trouble_2011.pdf

Flavomarginata makes a great pet, it's very personable, smart and charismatic, you just need to make sure you give them a suitable environment.

Hope this helps.

Rosey

5 Year Member
They want 100 bucks. Is that reasonable? I'm thinking ill go get him. I know I can give him a better home than they are. He's just such a friendly turtle.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
100% definitely a Chinese Box turtle, Cistoclemmys (Cuora) flavomarginata.

$100 isn't a bad price. "Perfect" adults of the species go for $125 & up nowadays. they are absolutely awesome Box turtles to own. At one time years ago I had about a half dozen of them along with some other Asian and American Box turtle species and the Chinese Box were hands down my favorite. They're very active, love to burrow and like lots of water.
Below is a photo of some that were born at my place back when I had them.

It's amazing to me how much they are nowadays, about 15 years ago they were anywhere from $7-15 each!

chicb-2.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
GBtortoises said:
100% definitely a Chinese Box turtle, Cistoclemmys (Cuora) flavomarginata.

$100 isn't a bad price. "Perfect" adults of the species go for $125 & up nowadays. they are absolutely awesome Box turtles to own. At one time years ago I had about a half dozen of them along with some other Asian and American Box turtle species and the Chinese Box were hands down my favorite. They're very active, love to burrow and like lots of water.
Below is a photo of some that were born at my place back when I had them.

It's amazing to me how much they are nowadays, about 15 years ago they were anywhere from $7-15 each!

chicb-2.jpg

GO GET THAT BOX TURTLE!

I agree with GB.. nice box turtle.. featured in Reptiles mag. too - April issue.

Hope Rosey doesn't mind if I "chase-a-rabbit" here?

One of my favorites from the late '90's was the "FLOWERBACK" - C.galbinifrons. A friend acquired a few.. and after much $$$ and patience they bred.. not sure of results. [ they came in by the 1000's full of bugs!!! ] The good old daze!

Real beauties!

aGALBRIN1.jpg

aGALBRIN1P.jpg

aGALBRIN3.jpg

aGALBRIN2.jpg

aGALBRIN2P.jpg

Then I saw them at an importers in FL. for $25 - $35!

These for $15 -

a1MALEKeProfile.jpg

15 dollars!!!

OrangeNOSE61510R.jpg

But what do I know?

NERD

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Wish I lived closer. I would snap it up in a heartbeat. Could use another one for the group.

TMG ISLAND3R

5 Year Member
I worked at pet stores for about 15 years but thye mainly sold fresh and saltwater fish. Very seldome did I ever see exotics here in Cape Breton where I live but when I worked at Big Als in toronto I used to love going to ever pet store I could.
I must admit, 90% of the ones I have been in had no clue as to care for the animals they were selling. There should be a law that every pet store that wants to sell exotics have an expert, no matter what the cost, or dont sell them at all.
so on that note, I hope you buy this guy and rescue him. Good luck with the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.