Can anyone tell if my greek tortoise is pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Here is some info on Bernadette, we have had her just alittle over a month. Her agein unknown as we got her at a pet smart and never told us. She eats organic greens, kale, mustard greens, romaine lettuce, zucchini, butternut squash, cactus pad I believe thats what it is called, we also get a organic Italian mix. We took her to a vet almost aweek ago he said she looks fine but her shell is alil beat up was like that when we got her. I asked him if it look like she was and he said no. I do have to say this vet was rude we will not be going back. I will include photos of her and her liveing space. Any advice or info would be great. Thank you.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1376258861220.jpg
    1376258861220.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 1376258876240.jpg
    1376258876240.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 1376258917754.jpg
    1376258917754.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 99

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hmmm, that sure does look like a Russian Tortoise to me....:p Perhaps lets see what some of the other members think...as I have said in the past...my old lady vision can sometimes play tricks and I am not the best at id'g every time.....

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
That's a Russian tortoise :) he/she looks fine to me , he/she seem to have new growth lines

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Oh my, is there anyway to find out exactly what knd she is?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
She is definitely a Russian tortoise and she looks great! I'm surprised the vet didn't tell you she isn't a Greek. I would recommend finding a new vet (especially if he was rude!) Good luck to you. :)

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Yeah we will be going to a different vet next time. Is there anything I need to change? Like lighting, food, anything lol? Thank you guys for being honest with me, I feel bad for not knowing she rally a Russian.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't worry about that. You were misinformed. Nobody is born knowing this stuff. I'm really glad you are here leaning it.

I see two things to comment on:
1. Those ramped water bowls are literally death traps for tortoises. Swap it out for a plain old $2 terra cotta plant saucer from the hardware store. I like to use them for food bowls too.
2. Your lighting. Did the pet store sell you one of those coil type UV bulbs? Those can sometimes damage tortoise eyes and I recommend against them. Real sunshine in a large safe outdoor enclosure is best. If that is not possible, then a mercury vapor bulb works well, or a combo of a basking bulb and a long florescent UV tube.

Did anyone give you diet and temperature tips yet? Good luck and enjoy your new tortoise. They are a great species.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Yeah it is a Russian Tortoise. What a cutie. :)
It doesn't look like it is pyramiding but then again I'm NOT an expert :p

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Okay, i will switch out the water dish. She never got in that thing anyway. Lol. I believe they are the coil uv bulbs. She is having a eye problem right now i wonder if that is why. We take her outside as much as we can. We have a deck on out apartment should i get something that i can put her in outthere when we are not home? Like a tort playpen? Side note we live in minn and the weather been kind of all over the place here. What would be a saft temp to have her outside in? I will be going to the store tomorrow to get different bulbs.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

This is a good reference site for this species...I just don't agree with using sand as a substrate, it can increase an impaction hazard--especially if in an indoor enclosure...

Yes, if you can design a good outdoor space that is completely secure (this species is the spider man of the tortoise world, literally can climb vertical for several feet)....if your weather is iffy, then perhaps have it set up for when you are going to make short outings for the day or are home on your down time...

I would also suggest agains the coil bulbs..there are other varieties that are much safer...some use a Mercury Vapor Bulb and others use the long tube type uva/uvb bulbs...kinda depends on what your indoor enclosure design will be and such...

felicia9211

5 Year Member
We had been using woodchips till last night when we cleaned her area and changed it to the crushed walnut shells is that okay to use?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
felicia9211 said:
We had been using woodchips till last night when we cleaned her area and changed it to the crushed walnut shells is that okay to use?

I wouldn't use crushed walnut either. They can impact your tortoise, and they mold relatively quickly.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Okay should I change it right away or would it be okay to ust till the next time we clean it? We change it about every two weeks n spot clean daily.

What do you use? She didnt seem to like the woodchips.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would change the substrate right away. The best substrates are orchid bark, coco coir, cypress much, plain untreated soil, and yard dirt, if yours is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.