Can anyone tell me difference between shrilankan/Indian/burmese star tortoise

Prashant

Can anyone tell me difference between shrilankan/Indian/burmese star tortoise and identify them.

how to identify the hatchings and juvenile for type of star tortoises.

How to increase star tortoise immunity towards Respiratory illuness.

I have two star tortoises kept in the the small 4 by 2 feet enclosure with cocopit coir.I do take them half an hour in sunlight in the morning or post 3pm as i am staying in mumbai.BUt when there is fluctuation in temperature they tend to catch runny nose smptoms quickly.So wanted to know what i can do better for them.

I also have 40watt UVA bulb which i keep ON to maintain the temperature between 28 to 32 degrees celcius.
But i dont knw how much humidity i should keep in there environment.
If i keep some humidity it seems to not work as they quickly catch runny nose symptom.

Attachments

• IMG_20170203_162000.jpg
    IMG_20170203_162000.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20170203_161947.jpg
    IMG_20170203_161947.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20170203_162009.jpg
    IMG_20170203_162009.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • Female.JPG
    Female.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • Male.JPG
    Male.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 78

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Indian and Sri Lankan elegans are both the same species. They are a regionally or locality different once they hit adulthood. Sri Lanka locality get rather large compared to Indian. However their is a locality of Indian that gets quite large as well though. They will look very very similar though as young. Platynota (Burmese stars) are quite different than elegans as young. You have a elegans in the photo.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Indian Mainland star tortoises (Geochelone elegans), two gross geographic ranges that do not overlap, a north west geographic variant tend to get bigger then the south east geographic variant. Then the insular form, still the same species, from Sri Lanka.

Figure-1-Indian-states-with-documented-illegal-Indian-Star-Tortoise-trade-activity.png

In the image above the range for the populations roughly correlate with the darker grey labeled Tamil Nadu and Gujarat areas. The legend is hard to male out.

Burmese star tortoises are geographically also completely separate and a truly a different species. Geochelone platynota range far east of the Indian Star tortoise, the Burmese, like the name, are from Burma (Myanmar).

Geochelone_platynota_Map(1).bmp

This is an actual range map for the Burmese.