Can anyone tell me what this is?

bobluckhaus

Location (City and/or State)
London
I have recently inherited a Hermann tortoise which seems to have an unusual reddish mark on her Plastron. I understand her diet wasn't great previously, could this be a knock-on effect?

On the subject of diets can anyone give me some advice on what I can feed her to keep her healthy? I'm currently feeding her dandelions (when I can find them) kale, tomatoes but would love to get some advice on this?

Thanks

PHOTO-2020-08-27-16-51-15.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like a scrape - like a skinned knee in a human. Is it raw? There looks to be a little raw spot on the foot too, like she was stuck somewhere and had to scrape the floor/ground/cement to get out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Yvonne's assessment.

Here is all the correct care info, including paragraphs on diet:

bobluckhaus

London
That's a relief, I thought it might be Septicaemia. It's not raw, I noticed it around 4 months ago and it hasn't changed since then. Can I treat the area with anything or is it best just left alone? I notice she has it on the soles of her two back feet too. I think where she was kept in a vivarium before without substrate this could be the cause?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it's that old, nothing needs to be done. is she outside now? Look around her yard and see if there's a place where she's squeezing under something and scraping her feet pushing under.

bobluckhaus

London
Hi Yvonne,

Update on this.

It seems the redish layer of the shell has now peeled off and it looks a little raw underneath. I think this is maybe being caused by her dragging one side of her body on the ground more than the other.

Can you check out the photo and let me know your thoughts?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4213.JPG
    IMG_4213.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13