Can cinderblock stop climbing Russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannah

5 Year Member
I want to build, as easily, cheaply, quickly and safely as possible something better than the basic enclosure my new Russians have. Would cinderblock be a viable choice for walls? I know wire/fencing material isnt working.
But this new envlosure needs to be something an older lady with a tiny car and health issues can do in an afternoon.

desertsss

5 Year Member
Depending on the size of tort, I would think that you could use them but might need to stack double high. Not only that, you would have to bury them so that the torts could not dig underneath and escape. You would also need a safe top to prevent predator attacks. What size enclosure, where, and why so fast and in one day? If we knew the whole situation might be able to provide better advice. Others will have better advice as well.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
I would think your biggest concern with cinder blocks would be the corners! You may need to cover them or do something else so he can't use two walls to climb.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Cinderblocks can be used but you do have to dig them into the ground and put a cap over the edge. They can climb them, but if you cap the top (boards would hang over the inside edge several inches), then they should not escape. If you have predators in the area then I would screen the whole top.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I've used cinderblocks to divide a pen for my Greeks. One layer an adult can climb quite easily . You would definitely need to go two high. If you use a flat stone and place it inside I would think that might help them from digging out. You would need to do as Dee suggested regarding the boards on the tops. I don't know your health concerns but you can rent a trench digger which will save your back, if you decide to place them in the ground. I used flat stepping stones buried and placed blocks on top but then your pen is pretty well set. It is about as easy to use boards and just nail or screw them together to form a box. I get the wood that is 12 inches wide by whatever and have the hardware cut it for me. An electric drill some screws and you are set. (though you still need to sink something so they don’t dig out. Using blocks I found one of the hardest things was carrying and lifting the heavy blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.