Can he eat this

Squirts

Location (City and/or State)
Fontana ca
Hello I wanted to see if I can give this to my sulcata. My neighbor gave them to Mr but I don't know what type of green this is. So before I chop it up for him I want to make sure he can eat this type of lettuce .

15507803277262601711985141063799.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
That look like green chard, most food references will say it's bad for the oxalate content. I don't agree with that assessment. But iI would limit the amount used to no more than 5% of the total greens fed at any one meal and not use it for more than two meals a week, and I would focus on just using the green part of the leaf.

Adults are a better candidates for eating this than babies. Adults could get the whole leaf, green and white parts, but still in the limited amounts.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/11147?fgcd=&manu=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=chard,+raw&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

On this chart you can see that the calcium is present at 24 mg/100 grams and the phosphorus is 22 mg/100 grams. This is often expressed in a ration C: P of 24:22, that is marginally okay. Most greens offered should have a much higher amount of C to P. Often the recommend amount would be 2:1 or even as high as 30:1 depending on what resource (thing to read) you find.

The reason why I say it's okay, even with a mediocre C: P ratio is at a low amount in the diet you are offering your tortoise variety, and variety offers some enrichment. Enrichment is good too.

Squirts

Fontana ca
That look like green chard, most food references will say it's bad for the oxalate content. I don't agree with that assessment. But iI would limit the amount used to no more than 5% of the total greens fed at any one meal and not use it for more than two meals a week, and I would focus on just using the green part of the leaf.

Adults are a better candidates for eating this than babies. Adults could get the whole leaf, green and white parts, but still in the limited amounts.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/11147?fgcd=&manu=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=chard,+raw&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

On this chart you can see that the calcium is present at 24 mg/100 grams and the phosphorus is 22 mg/100 grams. This is often expressed in a ration C: P of 24:22, that is marginally okay. Most greens offered should have a much higher amount of C to P. Often the recommend amount would be 2:1 or even as high as 30:1 depending on what resource (thing to read) you find.

The reason why I say it's okay, even with a mediocre C: P ratio is at a low amount in the diet you are offering your tortoise variety, and variety offers some enrichment. Enrichment is good too.
Okay thank u so much for that info.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure that's bok choy. I feed it occasionally to my tortoises. They readily eat the green part, but not so much the white part. It is high in vitamin A

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Swiss chard:

swiss chard.jpg

bok choy:

bok choy.jpg

Swiss chard has one main white vein going up into the green part while bok choy has many white veins.