Can Horsefield Tortoises hibernate?

MoTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Reigate
Hi there. I am own a 5 year old Horsefield Tortoise. I have never hibernated him before but every year around Christmas he is extremely lethargic and doesn't eat much. I want to try and hibernate him this year but I am scared that he will die or get ill!!!! I have no idea when or how to do it. I know that you put them in a box and things like that but I need someone to give me like a step to step guide on how to keep him alive during his first hibernation and what to do and what not to do. If anyone can I would really appreciate the help.

- Mia

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Mia
Why do you want to hibernate your tort , there is no reason to hibernate your tort . It’s not important to its health. In the wild it’s important cause of food shortages . But in captivity it’s just a gamble with its health if done wrong . But it’s your choice. Good luck [emoji217]

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum.

Firstly, please post pics of your tort and his enclosure. This would help the experts to help you much more easily.

And read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread. Give your tort a daily soak in warm water.

Good luck!