Can I feed this coneflower as is?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
https://imgur.com/a/XiJSa

I've been growing my plants using an exo terra 45x45xx45 cm or 18x18x18 inches. I can no longer put the plant in because it has outgrown the vivarium. Can i feed the stalks and leafs? some of the leaves have spines on them but I don't think they hurt as I touched them and they are fairly soft.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I'm sorry but what type of plant did you say this was?
If it is supposed to be an echinacea the leaves are not right.. it almost looks like a tomato plant.
Is there a strong smell when you rub a leaf or stem?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
I'm sorry but what type of plant did you say this was?
If it is supposed to be an echinacea the leaves are not right.. it almost looks like a tomato plant.
Is there a strong smell when you rub a leaf or stem?
Its coneflower. I bought the seeds from shelled warriors.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I have heard the black-eyed-susans called coneflower as well as what is more formally called echinacea.
Is the flower supposed to be yellow or pink?
There is also the possibility that your seeds were mislabeled because it really does look like a tomato to me.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
I have heard the black-eyed-susans called coneflower as well as what is more formally called echinacea.
Is the flower supposed to be yellow or pink?
There is also the possibility that your seeds were mislabeled because it really does look like a tomato to me.
they are supposed to be pink. This is about 2 months worth of growth.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Do you still have some of the seeds? Are they very round and flat? If you have a pack full of disc like seeds then you probably have a mislabeled package. If the other seeds are more elongated then they are probably ok.

I believe a second opinion is in order but I think you have an imposter.

@RosemaryDW
@JoesMum
@Will

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I agree, it is a tomato plant. I would suggest that small amount of tomato leaves are okay. What! Yeah, many Italian cooks put tomato leaf into sauces because it is more tomato-y tasting than actual tomatoes. Anyone that can find at least one peer reviewed bit of lit that indicates tomato leaves are poisonous wins !

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree, it is a tomato plant. I would suggest that small amount of tomato leaves are okay. What! Yeah, many Italian cooks put tomato leaf into sauces because it is more tomato-y tasting than actual tomatoes. Anyone that can find at least one peer reviewed bit of lit that indicates tomato leaves are poisonous wins !
I understood it to be toxic like all the plants in the nightshade family... but your post prompted me to Google and I read this
http://www.thekitchn.com/are-tomato-leaves-actually-poisonous-222259

I have never heard of anyone cooking with them, even in Italy, but it turns out that's my ignorance :)

The Tortoise Table, which always errs on the side of caution, has Tomato plant and fruit as "Do Not Feed"
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=448&c=8#.WgDHtaWnzo4

Personally, I'd grow the plant and eat the tomatoes myself and not feed it to my tortoise.

That plant didn't grow from the seeds pictured above. A stray seed got in somewhere.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I also vote tomato

I don’t think a few bites would hurt your tortoise but I’d be surprised if he ate them. I don’t think I’ve ever read of one from this site eating tomato plants, only tomatoes!

Save your space for true coneflowers and toss that plant. :)