Can I feed this plant to my tortoise?

DaddyLongNeck

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
This plant has been growing all over my yard lately and I was wondering whether it was safe to feed to my sulcata. The problem is I dont know what plant it is. I did try using an app that can identify plants by photo and it led me to something called a mimosa pudica or more commonly known as a sensitive plant. However the leaves on this plant dont fold up when touched. What is your guys advice?

Attachments

• 20221025_142348.jpg
    20221025_142348.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221025_142419.jpg
    20221025_142419.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like a mimosa tree seedling. The seeds are toxic. I have a couple mimosa trees and the tortoises have never shown an interest in eating the leaves.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep. As @Yvonne G already posted, it’s a Mimosa Tree. Those leaves are very definitive.

Albizia julibrissin, the Persian silk tree, pink silk tree, or mimosa tree, is a species of tree in the family Fabaceae, native to southwestern Asia and eastern Asia. The genus is named after the Italian nobleman Filippo degli Albizzi, who introduced it to Europe in the mid-18th century.
➡️ Credit - Wikipedia

suzejay

london
Ive been trying to grow this for ages in a pot and you have them growing in your yard? What magic potion do you use?

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
That is definitely a tree seedling - a very messy and invasive tree, and painful at that! It grows wickedly fast, has lots of thorns. When it gets hot and we have little or no rain, it drops its leaf branches so as to support the main trunk of the tree. Even the trunk and branches are green. Make sure to get all of the root out when you remove them (cutting them off at the ground will make it sprout even better!) because as soon as it gets water it will sprout a new plant from every little piece of root in the ground. Chances are one of your neighbors tried to remove one from their yard, and the wind carried seeds to your house. We have a huge amount of them ever since my Dad removed several from my sisters house - 6 houses away, each house on an acre lot. Then landscape people I hired to clean up the front yard tried to remove the 3 trees that had grown along my fence line, and now I have over a hundred growing in my side yard. Gladly give them away!