Can I have some help? (predators & outdoor tortoise)

tortoise❤️food

Hi my other tort lovers I need to ask a question.
My tortoise Aisha is always inside so I want to make her an outside home I take her on walks but I think she needs for natural outside time. The problem is where I live there are lots of cats, birds and snakes that could get in what should I do? Thanks

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
What type of tortoise do you have? How large is it?
You could always have a 100% enclosed area. Maybe using some type of chicken wire or something on the top of it.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
The size of your tortoise makes a big difference. We have tons of cats in our yard but Charlie is bigger than them and they leave him alone. I think he tries to tell them it is his space by standing as close to them as he can but I don't think they get the message.

A tiny tortoise can be picked up by a bird. For those, most people put some kind of cover on their outdoor space.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My cat issue was cats using my pen as a latrine. (And tortoises that love to eat poop and then get the diseases that the feral cats carry.)
It's fully enclosed.
Such a pen can be built very inexpensively.
This one is about 7 feet tall and is about 250 square feet. With an Eagle resistant top...with rain sprinklers.

Attachments

• 20160404_150423.jpg
    20160404_150423.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 20160311_152302-1.jpg
    20160311_152302-1.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 31

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I made enclosures for my Leopards (they each have their own) with wood and chicken wire. I sat the wood on pavers so nothing could dig under. The enclosures are totally covered to prevent birds from carrying off my smaller tort. They only go out during the days and come in at night to sleep in their closed chamber.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've seen fishing eagles (Ospreys) carry off water turtles as large as my Redfoot.
But I'm not sure that such strong and large birds are very common in the suburbs, elsewhere.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx