Can I keep 2-3 month old sulcata in outside enclosure

amglpn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW Florida
If I have all the right Temps and a secure enclosure, can I keep a baby outside? I live in SW Fl where Temps are high 80-90 during day and mid to high 70's at night. I'm looking at an aquarium type enclosure and of course taking him out daily to roam in larger area. Reasons I'm looking at outside is I have 3 dogs inside and don't want to worry when I'm at work the dogs messing with the tortoise. I'm open for ideas, thanks in advance

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
What about humidity? They need 80% humidity in order to prevent pyramiding. Baby torts are also prone to dehydrate easily, so uncontrollable temps outside can be deadly for them. It really is best to be in a closed chamber type enclosure.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Short answer - no.

Long answer: A baby has very specific temperature and humidity requirements that it needs to be healthy. A baby needs to be indoors in a closed chamber to get this.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides if you haven't already

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those that have a young Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can, but it probably will not go very well. I've tried this many times in many ways, and also observed other people trying it and it doesn't work well. A large percentage of them die or fail to thrive when housed outdoors full time regardless of general climate and current weather. Something about the stability and lack of extremes in an indoor closed chamber just agrees with them. I would strongly recommend against it.

You will need to keep the dogs out of the tortoise area one way or another for sure. Dogs will almost always kill a tortoise if given the chance. Frequently they seem to ignore the tortoise and "get along" just fine. Then one day, months or years down the road, you'll go over to see what the dog is chewing on and it will be your tortoise. Prevent this common tragedy by keeping them in separate areas and never allowing the dog access to the tortoise indoors or out.

amglpn

5 Year Member
SW Florida
ok thanks guys, I got a exo terra large low tank (size of 40 gallon tank just shorter) to start him in. Dogs cant get to him for sure.