Can I let him "play" outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
Mr. Pickles is in a huge tank, however, I would like to let him"roam" or play outside, with my close supervision of course. We live in southern AZ and while it's chilly here, during the day is nice right now and was wondering if he'd like stretching his legs sorta speak. Of course I'd be right there following him every second.

Is it good for them to just be let go in the back yard to "run" around?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Yes, absolutely. Most people on the forum have inside and outside enclosures. The more time your tortoise can spend outside the better.

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
I don't have an outdoor enclosure for him yet. This would be literally, putting him down in our backyard and then watching what he does. Our backyard is rock and gravel, w/ a few cacti areas. He wouldn't be out of my sight even for a second. Just thought he'd like to run around lol

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That should be fine. Just make sure
you stay right by him! They can be sneeky
burgers! :)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I've thought about this also and considered getting one of those zoomed tortoise playpens. Or making something similar to keep it secure and from leaving the yard.

Honestly, I wouldn't let mine free roam even if I was supervising. I lost a reptile once when I thought I had it all under control. Sometimes you can get distracted without even realizing it. I'd recommend having it secured in some way just in case. Some sort of barrier.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I would'nt trust to not turn your back, run in the answer a phone etc.. and forget.. even for just 5 min.. build something to put him in so he cant walk away, or be carried off....

Status
Not open for further replies.