Can I occasionally feed my sulcata rabbit pellets?

gustaf

5 Year Member
My sulcata has a large yard. He never runs out of grass and weeds of various types to eat. We have a rabbit and i wondered if my sulcata would eat rabbit food. I looked at the ingredients and it didnt seem to have anything in it that Mazuri didnt have. (Except Mazuri has more stuff.) So i moistened it and mixed it with a few greens. He chowed down on it. He really seemed to like it. I figure he gets just about everything he needs from the yard but i do offer cuddle bones for him. Do u guys think it would be ok to feed it to him occasionally as a treat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If I'm not mistaken, rabbit food is manufactured with rabbits in mind, so it contains vitamins and minerals for rabbits. I think a bit as an occasional treat isn't going to harm your tortoise, but I wouldn't use it on a regular basis.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you want to feed rabbit foods then feed the timothy hay or other grass hays for rabbits .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
mike taylor said:
If you want to feed rabbit foods then feed the timothy hay or other grass hays for rabbits .

This is the right idea.

gustaf

5 Year Member
Ya he does have some timothy hay in his house for bedding. And by no means do i plan on feeding him rabbit pellets very often. Rabbits are vegitarians too so i didnt figure it would do any harm. And it does have some calcium carbonate in it so that could be a good way to occasionally suppliment calcium. I have yet to see this guy eat a cuttle bone. Maybe i will offer him a little every few weeks or so. I think he gets most of the nutrients he needs from yard grazing.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
What I do is scrape the cuttlebone, with a knife, or even with your fingernail, over some wet food and it sprinkles like a dust and voila! cuttlebone cannot be avoided. Sneaky. : )

gustaf

5 Year Member
Thats a good technique. I do that too. But i used to have a sulcata that would just plain eat a whole cuttlebone. Sully has showed no interest in doing so. But i think i have read some other posts where someone said their sulcata would occasionally eat one. Like the they would go a long time without eating it and then just decided to eat it. Then they would go a long time again before eating another.

LadyKraken

Wow I had this same question today I know this is a very old post but I think is not good to feed because I have seen the rabbit pellet food analysis and protein goes 13-18% I think thats too high for a tortoise?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you go to the rabbit section of the store they have bags of mixed weeds you can feed.

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
what about the alfalfa pellets they sell for rabbits, i think they sell them as edible bedding too? i just saw some in a store and I know everyone says not to use it as a substrate, but i was wondering if anyone feeds it to them. just made me curious, thats all

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It doesn't matter the brand as long as the ingredients are right .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow I had this same question today I know this is a very old post but I think is not good to feed because I have seen the rabbit pellet food analysis and protein goes 13-18% I think thats too high for a tortoise?

No. Its not. As long as they are well hydrated, some occasional plant protein is good for them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
what about the alfalfa pellets they sell for rabbits, i think they sell them as edible bedding too? i just saw some in a store and I know everyone says not to use it as a substrate, but i was wondering if anyone feeds it to them. just made me curious, thats all
I feed the alfalfa pellets that are for horses. Only in winter months and not every day. This is along with greens, Mazuri, weeds/leafs I was able to save for winter feeding and anything else I can find that they can have

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A friend of mine has a lot of THB. They are mostly fully grown adults and it is a lot of them! I noticed that in the winter she feeds them with rabbit pellets. (In the summer they are all outside grazing). I asked her about the rabbit pellets and she explained that tortoise pellets are very expensive for the number of tortoises she has, whereas Rabbit pellets are cheaper. She felt strongly against feeding them with dog/cat food because it has a lot of protein, but Rabbit pellets apparently have similar composition as tortoise pellets because rabbits also don't eat protein. What is your opinion about this? Are rabbit pellets harmful, or is it really similar to tortoise pellets? What do you feed your tortoises (if you have a lot of them) when weeds are not available?
Read the posts above by Yvonne G it answers your question.
Your friend shouldn't have so many if she can't afford to feed them properly. That's like running a puppy mill!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A friend of mine has a lot of THB. They are mostly fully grown adults and it is a lot of them! I noticed that in the winter she feeds them with rabbit pellets. (In the summer they are all outside grazing). I asked her about the rabbit pellets and she explained that tortoise pellets are very expensive for the number of tortoises she has, whereas Rabbit pellets are cheaper. She felt strongly against feeding them with dog/cat food because it has a lot of protein, but Rabbit pellets apparently have similar composition as tortoise pellets because rabbits also don't eat protein. What is your opinion about this? Are rabbit pellets harmful, or is it really similar to tortoise pellets? What do you feed your tortoises (if you have a lot of them) when weeds are not available?
Used occasionally, with a well hydrated tortoise, as a way to add fiber and variety to grocery store greens, it is fine. Used every day by itself, its not good.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
For my house rabbits I use kaytees Timothy complete.and as little alfalfa kibble as possible even for a baby for food. And I only use oxbow juvenile rabbit to mix in. Those are the only two I will use because they don't have corn in them. I don't think my bunny kibble would hurt a tortoise in a pinch. But since there actually is a good tortoise kibble that is formulated for a tortoise I use the mazuri LS for my Russian. Mazuri has other blends. And since your tort likes Timothy hay....it looks like you have your work cut out for you 😉🤗