Can I put another RT in with the one I already have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennifresh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
So, I have a Russian Tortoise that was given to me by a couple that no longer could care for him. I'm not exactly sure how old he is, but they said they had him for about 3 years now.

My question is, can I buy another RT and put him/her in with Niko? Does it have to be a certain size/age?

The enclosure I have for him right now is 4.5 ft. x 2.5 ft. Would that be enough room for 2?

I'm just a little worried that since he's been alone, he might not get along with another RT or maybe the enclosure is too small for 2?

Any kind of opinions from people with a lot of experience would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Normally the ratio for Russian tortoises are 1 male to 2 females. You don't want to put two males together. Another thing, you want to give the new Russian a quarantine period before putting it in with the old Russian. If not, at least do a fecal test for both and make sure they are both parasite free. It's so that one does not infect the other.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
^^I agree with the above comment, and I would add one more thing. I house my male RT and my female RT in separate bins, because when they lived together, the male bit at the female once during feeding time. Not sure why he did this - whether it was due to crowding, or defensiveness over food, or courtship. The female wasn't injured, but after I saw that, I knew each tortoise had to have its own pen. They still interact with each other outside, and it's very cute how they sniff noses in recognition of each other; I think the male has even done some head-bobbing courtship maneuvers, although they haven't mated. All of that is fine, but by giving them their own separate homes, I prevent them from fighting. This would be especially true if you have two males, where aggression is almost sure to take place. Two females can be housed together given adequate space, and a male may bother a female, but two males will not tolerate each other in close quarters. You can keep more than one male in a very large outdoor enclosure, but in a small outdoor pen or an indoor bin, each male should have his own place to prevent fighting.

jennifresh

5 Year Member
NJ
Thanks for the info. I don't think I have enough room to build another separate enclosure. They would either have to live together or I'd have to end up giving one of them up. Maybe I should just keep him alone then? I just thought he'd like some company... But if it's too risky, I don't want to bother.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Your enclosure sound small for 2, so you would need a bigger enclosure, plus you would need to quarantine the new one for 3 to 5 months, and then after that you could try and keep hem together. They might get along and they might not, it all depends on the tortoises themselves. Mine get along except for during feeding time, then they fight over the food, but since they don't stop each other from eating I leave them alone, others russians won't get along and fight all the time. The more room you have, the better success you will have at yours getting along. So a bigger enclosure and a quarantine and then you can try and house them together but be prepared to separate them if they don't get along.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I agree with dmmj. The enclosure you have now is good for one Russian tortoise, but it is not big enough for two, so I would not get a second. A tortoise would appreciate some company in a large, outdoor space, where they can interact naturally. But in close quarters like that, they would not benefit from each other's company, and most likely would fight at least some of the time. Better stick with one until you have more room for a second tortie in the future. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.