Can I spoil my hatchlings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
I recently acquired 3 redfoot hatchlings (also have 2, 7 month old redfoots)...I got each of them within a couple days of hatching.

They are in a fairly big outdoor pen (9ft x 11ft), and the hatchlings seem really shy. There is a lot of vegetation in their pen, and I've been feeding them, but I haven't seen them eat in a week (they could be eating, I'm just not witnessing it).

I have two regular feeding spots in the pen, and usually see the 7 month olds eating there, not the hatchlings.

I was starting to get concerned, so for the first time today, I put some mango & hibiscus close to each of the hatchlings, and noticed the oldest hatchling (1 week older than the other two) chowing down it right away.

My question is, if I continue to put the food where they've decided to hide, will I spoil them? Will I encourage them not to wander around (they must be wandering around when I don't see them, as they're in different spots every day)?

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it is possible that they will wait for their food to come to them. However, if you don't keep food there all day, then when it's gone, they should wonder to find more and then will have to eat what's available. As for the hatchling not wondering much. Maybe it's too small to be in with the bigger ones at this time. I would keep the hatchling(s) separate until they get bigger and closer to the size of the others are now.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I would separate the hatchlings from the older torts until they are bigger. At the moment they can be intimidated off the food by the older and bigger torts that may not be too keen on sharing their enclosure with newcomers. You may have some mental bullying going on here and your hatchlings may well fail to thrive.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I never really thought of the intimidation or mental bullying that could be going on. I will section off part of the pen for the hatchlings tomorrow morning and see if that helps....maybe even bring them inside for a bit. It will certainly help me keep a better eye on them.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
I really want to thank you guys for your suggestions. I made a temporary pen for the hatchlings, and already noticed two of the three eating this morning! I made a feeding spot and they went to the food, instead of me putting the food by them (the feeding spot is fairly close to one of the hides, as they seem a little shy when I'm around).
The other one wandered around and went into a hide.
The smaller pen will be so much easier for me to monitor them while they're new. Right now, they all look healthy (eyes look clear...and I watched the one that wandered, but didn't eat, do a nice poo).

It might also help that the sun is shining today (it's rainy season here, and we haven't seen much sun for a bit), and it feels so much warmer and happier outside...but that could just be me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.