Can I take my baby Russian Tortoise outside?

Julian32122

Location (City and/or State)
Vallejo
I have a Zoo Med 3x2 tortoise enclosure outside that I’d like to put my tortoise in (has a hidden private area for shade and 4-6 inches of Coco fiber). However, it’s been getting a bit chilly here in the Bay Area, California. The average temps are about 64 F everyday where I’m at. Would I still be able to take my 4-month old Russian out to soak in some sun for an hour or two a day during peak temps or is this too cold? I’d really like for him to get some outdoor time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a Zoo Med 3x2 tortoise enclosure outside that I’d like to put my tortoise in (has a hidden private area for shade and 4-6 inches of Coco fiber). However, it’s been getting a bit chilly here in the Bay Area, California. The average temps are about 64 F everyday where I’m at. Would I still be able to take my 4-month old Russian out to soak in some sun for an hour or two a day during peak temps or is this too cold? I’d really like for him to get some outdoor time.
That is pretty border line...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Probably not a good idea? If so, I’ll just continue to keep him indoors within his warmer indoor enclosure + d3 supplement.
That is what I'd do. Try this: Place a rock in the enclosure in the sun and then temp it after an hour or so with an infrared temp gun. If its 85 or more, which is possible if its sunny, not windy, and not damp, then your tortoise might get some benefit from being outside for a bit.

Julian32122

Vallejo
That is what I'd do. Try this: Place a rock in the enclosure in the sun and then temp it after an hour or so with an infrared temp gun. If its 85 or more, which is possible if its sunny, not windy, and not damp, then your tortoise might get some benefit from being outside for a bit.
Great! I’ve got two large flat rocks that I can put in there to give it a shot. It won’t be for long as I tend to be cautious, but if things are looking good, I’ll try it out for a bit. Thank you :)