Can I use Scott's organic topsoil for a tortoise enclsure.

TortoiseNoob9

Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
I want to make an outdoor stock tank enclosure. The top will consist of orchid bark. The rest I am thinking of using Scott's organic topsoil. It has been recommended to me.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I want to make an outdoor stock tank enclosure. The top will consist of orchid bark. The rest I am thinking of using Scott's organic topsoil. It has been recommended to me.
What type of tortoise?
A non digging species wouldn't have an issue at all.

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California
What type of tortoise?
A non digging species wouldn't have an issue at all.
A western Herman's tortoise. It is part of the genesis testudo, and will have to bury during the winter for bruemation. My tortoise does enjoy minor burying. Like you can still see the shell when they bury.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There are probably quite a few things that are "organic" that are still harmful for a tortoise to be living in or on in organic top soil.
I just can't give you an answer that I'm 100% comfortable with.

I've used topsoil underneath Orchid bark myself. But what I found and used here in south Florida is probably apples and oranges different than what you may find.
Right off the bat it contains peat moss. That's already not good. And there's no specifics on the "other" organic additives.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221203-190301_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221203-190301_Samsung Internet.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 2

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California
There are probably quite a few things that are "organic" that are still harmful for a tortoise to be living in or on in organic top soil.

I've used topsoil underneath Orchid bark myself. But what I found and used here in south Florida is probably apples and oranges different than what you may find.
Right off the bat it contains peat moss. That's already not good. And there's no specifics on the "other" organic additives.
I live in northern California, so it is pretty dry here, and for a tortoise to live outside it has to bruemate during the winter.

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California

Is it possible you can give me the name of the soil you used. I was going to buy this off Amazon anyways.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in northern California, so it is pretty dry here, and for a tortoise to live outside it has to bruemate during the winter.
Soil should not be used as a tortoise substrate. It is made with composted yard waste and all sorts of other weird stuff, and it could be toxic or dangerous.

Your tortoise needs to brumate safely indoors under controlled conditions. It is not safe to do it outside here. Too inconsistent.