Can mice harm a big sulcata tortoise ?

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hi friends, I have a questions concerning my 3 years old sulcata tortoises. Because they are big they are living in my heated stable. I have a security camera installed in the stable for the torts.
Last night I watched two mice eating the lettuce of the torts and playing in the enclosure. I know when I see two mice there are quickly a lot more.:( Tomorrow I will buy some traps for the mice to catch them.

Can mice harm big tortoises ?
Maybe that the mice nibble on the legs or shell of the sleeping torts ?
What is your opinion and experience ? Thanks for your answers in advance.

I took some pictures last night. The eyes of the mice glow in the dark and the night vision of the camera. Search them at the lower right side of the picture.:)
2019-12-02__03-32-01.png 2019-12-02__03-30-55.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It stands to reason that if rats will chew on tortoises mice may too, but I doubt the mice are big enough to do much damage. Your tortoises are looking very nice, Sabine. Good job! Now that they've grown so big, you may want to think about raising up the bar holding the CHE in their sleeping corner. It looks pretty close to the top of that big guy's shell.

Bee62

Germany
It stands to reason that if rats will chew on tortoises mice may too, but I doubt the mice are big enough to do much damage. Your tortoises are looking very nice, Sabine. Good job! Now that they've grown so big, you may want to think about raising up the bar holding the CHE in their sleeping corner. It looks pretty close to the top of that big guy's shell.
Thank you Yvonne for your answer. I am your opinion that mice are not strong enough to do a big damage to my torts but I will sleep calmer when I`ve got the nasty mice ! I have so many cats but unfortunately I can`t let the cats ( or one cat ) in the enclosure of the torts. The cat would use the substrate for her toilette and maybe throw down the lamps and lights that something might burn. So better no cat in the tort enclosure.:(
Thank you for saying I do a "good job" with my torts and I will soon screw the bar of the CHE`s higher.

This is a picture from today when they had been awake:
2019-12-02__15-33-28.png

Bee62

Germany
THey make a bait box that fits that trap so no chance of interaction with the torts. NO need to add poison bait. Are you using peanut butter?
I will put the traps out before the torts awake. I think hungry mice will smell the attractand of the traps everywhere in the room. It is Nutella !!!!!
M01909342165-large.jpg
best mice attractand ever ! LOL !

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
There is a black snake that we see under my rear shed and on the deck sometimes during summer. Slows down the rodent problem, but sadly does not stop it. BUT I do have some seriously big chipmunks-like mistake them for a squirrel until i notice the strips and stumpy tail. OMG

Bee62

Germany
Torts look great Sabine! I think your on the right track. Keep leaving Nutella out and you may catch me on camera one night:)))
Thank you Heather !:) The torts are growing like crazy. :) You are every time welcome to eat Nutella with me in my kitchen, day & night :D We take 2 spoons and then ..... :eek::eek: ...... yummy :D