Can mice harm a big sulcata tortoise ?

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
I have mice like crazy in my tortoise shed. They have never hurt my tortoises. Leopards and a Russian.
I try constantly to get rid of them but its nearly impossible.
Thank you. It is good to read that mice don`t hurt tortoises. Nevertheless I will try to keep the population of mice low. This year was a good year for mice I think. My house is old and the mice have a lot of own ways to get in ...:(

Bee62

Germany
There is a black snake that we see under my rear shed and on the deck sometimes during summer. Slows down the rodent problem, but sadly does not stop it. BUT I do have some seriously big chipmunks-like mistake them for a squirrel until i notice the strips and stumpy tail. OMG
Snakes don`t eat enough mice I think. Because of my cats I don`t want to use toxic chemical things but I use traps that kill mice.o_O Chipmunks and squirrels are cute.:)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Snakes don`t eat enough mice I think. Because of my cats I don`t want to use toxic chemical things but I use traps that kill mice.o_O Chipmunks and squirrels are cute.:)
Tell that the to the trim have reinstalled countless times on my dormers. Ever since my neighbor cut down her crumbling old Live Oak they have caused damn near thousands of $$$ worth of damage

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you. It is good to read that mice don`t hurt tortoises. Nevertheless I will try to keep the population of mice low. This year was a good year for mice I think. My house is old and the mice have a lot of own ways to get in ...:(
That's all I can do too, try to keep the numbers down. I use both the snap traps and the walk the plank traps. Mice are smart little buggers. I will set traps and get some for a few days in a row and then nothing. So I now switch up between the two different kinds of traps, switch up food and even stop trying to trap for a week or so. Luckily I dont have them in my house . I also have tried the sonic noise deterrents and the smell deterrents and neither work.
Good luck.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Update:
One mouse is already trapped and dead !
View attachment 283449

I have found the "Rat Zapper" to work quite efficiently. The problem with your situation is the large numbers of mice. The Zapper will only zap one at a time. After removing the dead one, it would be ready to go again. You can set it up in a corner of the shed with the opening facing the wall or even right outside the shed where they are getting in. You would be busy for awhile, but eventually get it under control.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will put the traps out before the torts awake. I think hungry mice will smell the attractand of the traps everywhere in the room. It is Nutella !!!!!
M01909342165-large.jpg
best mice attractand ever ! LOL !

It attracts Grandkids too.

TheKB

Finland
If you are handy enough with tools that you can drill holes in a piece of wood you can construct this old mouse trap design that works wonders.
Completely tortoise (this size) safe and very effective in catching multiple mice at once.
You put the bait in the hole and spring a noose with string. Mouse smells the food, chews the string to get to the bait and releases the spring that lifts the noose and strangles the mouse. Other mice see the mouse there and smell the bait themselves and fall for the same thing thinking their buddy is just eating. You only need to re-tie the string that holds the spring down and you can go again because the mouse will never reach the bait. More holes and more mice you can catch every night.

Or find and buy one with multiple holes, although they can be more expensive since they often are antique.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you are handy enough with tools that you can drill holes in a piece of wood you can construct this old mouse trap design that works wonders.
Completely tortoise (this size) safe and very effective in catching multiple mice at once.
You put the bait in the hole and spring a noose with string. Mouse smells the food, chews the string to get to the bait and releases the spring that lifts the noose and strangles the mouse. Other mice see the mouse there and smell the bait themselves and fall for the same thing thinking their buddy is just eating. You only need to re-tie the string that holds the spring down and you can go again because the mouse will never reach the bait. More holes and more mice you can catch every night.

Or find and buy one with multiple holes, although they can be more expensive since they often are antique.

Oh goodness! So where would one find of these contraptions?

TheKB

Finland
Oh goodness! So where would one find of these contraptions?
Not sure where you could buy one, but any craftsperson worth their salt should easily be able to make these with tools and scrap they might have around. The trap is called "mascall spring trap", googling that will give you multiple links on how you can make something like it.

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
That guy shawn woods has shown other rat trap designs that look simpler to make, and more efficient. I just looked at his rat trap designs and he has shown one which drops rodents in a bucket. maybe you could do that kind of thing, but it sounds like your taking great care of the problem already.