Can my baby sulcata tortoise eat lawn grass?

akcoff

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I live in Arkansas, and the lawn that I have is untreated with pesticides and chemicals or fertilizers. It looks like there's a bunch of different types of grasses and weeds growing, and I'm not exactly sure if it's safe for my baby sulcata to eat, even though he loves it and everytime I take him outside for some sun, that's all he wants to do is munch on the grass.

20200327_135309.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Arkansas, and the lawn that I have is untreated with pesticides and chemicals or fertilizers. It looks like there's a bunch of different types of grasses and weeds growing, and I'm not exactly sure if it's safe for my baby sulcata to eat, even though he loves it and everytime I take him outside for some sun, that's all he wants to do is munch on the grass.
YES!!! This is ideal. Everyone else reading this who can't get their baby to eat grass is shaking their head right now.

If a baby wasn't introduced to grass soon after hatching, it can be difficult to get them to eat it. You are lucky that your's likes it and wants to eat it so easily for you. Makes life a lot easier.

akcoff

Arkansas
YES!!! This is ideal. Everyone else reading this who can't get their baby to eat grass is shaking their head right now.

If a baby wasn't introduced to grass soon after hatching, it can be difficult to get them to eat it. You are lucky that your's likes it and wants to eat it so easily for you. Makes life a lot easier.

That makes me feel so good thank you as always Tom!!

Ed Rodriguez

Fate, Texas

Hi Tom. My baby sulcata loves to eat weeds, but is not a fan of grass. A couple times a week I go out to the yard and grab some to put on her food, so I do offer it, but she will not eat it. Whats a good way to get her to eat grass?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
That makes me feel so good thank you as always Tom!!

You will be very very glad that your Sully is munching down on grass. Keep that up! It’s free & abundant & their natural food to graze on. Include lots of good healthy weeds for a balanced grass/weed diet! Next, dry orchard grass. Happy torting along.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom. My baby sulcata loves to eat weeds, but is not a fan of grass. A couple times a week I go out to the yard and grab some to put on her food, so I do offer it, but she will not eat it. Whats a good way to get her to eat grass?
You need to start with super young freshly sprouted tender young soft grass. I grab a small amount with one hand, cut it with scissors in the other hand, and then use the scissors to chop it up into tiny pieces onto the top of the food pile for the day. Just do this every day. In time, the tortoise will recognize the smell taste and texture, and associate that as "food". You can sprout your own seed, but use something intended for pasture animals. DOn't get lawn seed form the hardware store. You can also buy little plots of sprouted wheat grass from the pet store to use.

Ed Rodriguez

Fate, Texas
Appreciate the advice. I will start trying it this evening as it is her day to get a couple of soaked pellts and shaved carrots for her afternoon meal.