Can my Russian eat any of these?

Location (City and/or State)
London
Oh really, wow okay then i will. Thank you for informing me, I'm learning lots.
I think they may be tiny spider mites but i wash it as I'm worried about them biting my tortoise and causing some type of infection. Since he's a Russian i know they can't eat insects so i was worried but if i don't have to wash them off then that's great. It's easier for him to eat too.
Toto thanks you. He was enjoying the new ox Tounge this morning. Xx
20210527_095153.jpg

London
The warnings about oxalic acid are out of date and actually have no research to back them up. They are fine in a varied diet, actually fine in large amounts. In fact in the wild dandelion relatives make up a large part of what they eat in the spring. It’s odd but the warnings about dandelions usually come from old info in the U.K., not here. The stalk is full of great fiber! Keep offering them and I bet one day they get tasted.

I have no idea what the bugs are but tortoises in the wild don’t have someone to wash off bugs; they get eaten and as a small part of the diet that’s fine. It’s certainly okay to wash the plants off but don’t worry about missing some.
Can they eat the dandelion puffs or just the yellow flowers (since they have more nutrients) ?? X

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Can they eat the dandelion puffs or just the yellow flowers (since they have more nutrients) ?? X
Either. The seeds have more protein so actually a good item. You might be seeing info that says NO PROTEIN. That is also out of date. It comes from a time when people were actually feeding meat, like dog food. Plant protein is a necessary part of the diet. You don’t want to feed only seeds but these are fine.

There is a lot of bad info floating around on the internet, old and out of date. We’ve all used it at one time or another, not knowing it’s out of date so you’re not the only one. For example, you are going to find guidelines that say NEVER feed buttercups. Your Russian would eat a ton of them in the wild and it’s just fine to feed them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh really, wow okay then i will. Thank you for informing me, I'm learning lots.
I think they may be tiny spider mites but i wash it as I'm worried about them biting my tortoise and causing some type of infection. Since he's a Russian i know they can't eat insects so i was worried but if i don't have to wash them off then that's great. It's easier for him to eat too.
Toto thanks you. He was enjoying the new ox Tounge this morning. Xx
View attachment 325984
Looks like you've got that "Pets at Home" substrate with the limestone bits in it. That stuff is dangerous and shouldn't be used. Its also too dry and your tortoise has some significant pyramiding now. If you make some changes you can reduce further pyramiding damage.

London
Looks like you've got that "Pets at Home" substrate with the limestone bits in it. That stuff is dangerous and shouldn't be used. Its also too dry and your tortoise has some significant pyramiding now. If you make some changes you can reduce further pyramiding damage.
Hi Tom, I know. The previous owner used to use this and for the longest time i thought it was fine as he never eats the limestone. I also used to think that he didn't like the humidity but after being on here i realise i need to change it.. She didn't tell me much. So as of right now i do moisten it to make it nice and humid. I don't know whether i should get orchid bark as i hear it can get mouldy.. Is this true. Also, does it come already damp?. I know a place where i can get some but I'm worried about buying in bulk if it its already damp and does get mouldy. I hear coco coir can also get kind of messy.

London
Either. The seeds have more protein so actually a good item. You might be seeing info that says NO PROTEIN. That is also out of date. It comes from a time when people were actually feeding meat, like dog food. Plant protein is a necessary part of the diet. You don’t want to feed only seeds but these are fine.

There is a lot of bad info floating around on the internet, old and out of date. We’ve all used it at one time or another, not knowing it’s out of date so you’re not the only one. For example, you are going to find guidelines that say NEVER feed buttercups. Your Russian would eat a ton of them in the wild and it’s just fine to feed them.
Oh really. I have buttercups in my garden so I'll make sure to definetly give him some. Thank you. A lot of my dandelions are turning into puffs so i was thinking can he eat them. Glad to know he can. X

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tom, I know. The previous owner used to use this and for the longest time i thought it was fine as he never eats the limestone. I also used to think that he didn't like the humidity but after being on here i realise i need to change it.. She didn't tell me much. So as of right now i do moisten it to make it nice and humid. I don't know whether i should get orchid bark as i hear it can get mouldy.. Is this true. Also, does it come already damp?. I know a place where i can get some but I'm worried about buying in bulk if it its already damp and does get mouldy. I hear coco coir can also get kind of messy.
Mold grows on rotting food and poop. Orchid bark doesn't rot, hence, it doesn't mold.

London
Mold grows on rotting food and poop. Orchid bark doesn't rot, hence, it doesn't mold.
Oh okay, well ill definetly get some then. Thank you Yvonee x

Actually, i did have another query, i posted a thread yesterday about some darker patches on my tortoises shell and i wanted to know if it was normal.. Do you think you could take a look.. If your not to busy? Xx