Can my Russian tortoise eat the leaves of this plant? I can’t seem to identify it

YukdaTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
California
I do not know but you can download an app that when you take a picture of it it will identify the item I have heard of some stuff like that but I do not know if they work, but hopefully it is safe

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here u go..

• Common Name: Petunia
  • Latin Name: Petunia spp.
  • Family Name: Solanaceae
Tortoise keepers have included Petunia in the tortoise diet for many years without any ill effects. Although there is no evidence of toxicity, this plant is in the same family as the toxic nightshade species, so we feel it is wise to err on the side of caution and probably best to offer Petunias in moderation, and as part of a wider, varied diet.

Julian32122

Vallejo
Here u go..

• Common Name: Petunia
  • Latin Name: Petunia spp.
  • Family Name: Solanaceae
Tortoise keepers have included Petunia in the tortoise diet for many years without any ill effects. Although there is no evidence of toxicity, this plant is in the same family as the toxic nightshade species, so we feel it is wise to err on the side of caution and probably best to offer Petunias in moderation, and as part of a wider, varied diet.
Perfect - thank you so much.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Yes, petunia is safe to feed. The only hitch would be if it is a recently purchased/acquired petunia. If it is new from a garden center or nursery, it will most likely have been treated with fertilizers and/or pesticides. If that is the case, it is not safe to treat right now.