Can my tortoise be over weight??

emilyh05

Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
I’ve had my Russian tortoise Lucy for almost 4 years and we recently had some health scares with respiratory issues but after getting on antibiotics she’s been doing a lot better. I’ve noticed she’s getting too big for her shell and that she almost looks swollen, she’s eating completely fine though and doesn’t seem to have any other issues. She also makes really pained facial expressions when she tries to poop.

Sa Ga

MN
I’ve had my Russian tortoise Lucy for almost 4 years and we recently had some health scares with respiratory issues but after getting on antibiotics she’s been doing a lot better. I’ve noticed she’s getting too big for her shell and that she almost looks swollen, she’s eating completely fine though and doesn’t seem to have any other issues. She also makes really pained facial expressions when she tries to poop.

Does she poop daily? Is it moist looking and if you squish it (yes, it is gross!) is it dry-looking and hard, or soft and moist inside? She may be constipated as far as the pooping goes, and if the poops are dry, she may be dehydrated. Do you soak her? Soak her daily in lukewarm water for at least 30 mins. See if this helps. If no improvement w/I a few days, bring her to a reptile vet experienced w/ treating Russian torts.

As for weight, is she fat or swollen (fluid buildup)? That can be worrisome and should be seen probably sooner than later. A vet can help you identify and modify care factors which might be attributing to the swelling, if not a proper weight/diet.

Best wishes and keep us posted!

TheKB

Finland
I'm not experienced with Russian torts, but I remember reading that too much protein in the diet can cause this. The tortoise keeps growing but the shell stays small. Lack of sunlight and sufficient calcium is also part of the problem. If there isn't enough calcium tortoise will not grow its shell. It will start to use the calcium stored in the bones to keep growing and will end up with soft shell and weak bones. If you feed her calcium but don't give direct sunlight or UVB from a fresh bulb she cannot metabolize the calcium to make use of it in her bones and shell.
1580736591613.png (example picture I found on the internet)

Double check that you are feeding her the right diet and get fresh UVB light (UVB lights should be replaced every 6-12 months as the amount of UVB they emit will go down over time) or daily walks in direct sunlight and supplement with calcium. If it gets this bad, the tortoise probably will never look "normal", but she will survive.

KronksMom

Illinois
To answer your title question, yes tortoises can be overweight. Do a simple google search for "fat tortoise" and you'll see what it looks like. From what I read about it, they generally don't get overweight unless their enclosure is not large enough and they are being fed to much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are you feeding the tortoise? What size enclosure? What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low? UV? What kind of UV bulb?

TortNZ

Christchurch
Tagging onto this topic I've had my tort for a month now. She is a one year old Hermann. When I got her she weight 58g and now after a month she weighs 86g. Is this OK or is she growing to fast?

Vibes

South Florida
I'm not experienced with Russian torts, but I remember reading that too much protein in the diet can cause this. The tortoise keeps growing but the shell stays small. Lack of sunlight and sufficient calcium is also part of the problem. If there isn't enough calcium tortoise will not grow its shell. It will start to use the calcium stored in the bones to keep growing and will end up with soft shell and weak bones. If you feed her calcium but don't give direct sunlight or UVB from a fresh bulb she cannot metabolize the calcium to make use of it in her bones and shell.
View attachment 285748 (example picture I found on the internet)

Double check that you are feeding her the right diet and get fresh UVB light (UVB lights should be replaced every 6-12 months as the amount of UVB they emit will go down over time) or daily walks in direct sunlight and supplement with calcium. If it gets this bad, the tortoise probably will never look "normal", but she will survive.
another way to get her calcium is letting her bask in the sun every day for 15-30 minutes. 15 minuets in the sun is equal to 6 hours under a UV light, its crazy!

Vibes

South Florida
Tagging onto this topic I've had my tort for a month now. She is a one year old Hermann. When I got her she weight 58g and now after a month she weighs 86g. Is this OK or is she growing to fast?
Whoa! that's heavy, personally I don't really raise hatchlings (I've raised one) i prefer to get yearlings, there way more lax to care for. but are reading some articles it's stated, "Hatchlings are on average 3 to 4 cm long and weigh around 15 g. They have paler colors than adults during the first months of life, but soon become more contrasted than them. It has not yet been proven at which age they reach sexual maturity." (article link: https://www.giraffa.co/hermanns-tortoise/) I would contact a vet or even a breeder and ask them if they are a healthy weight. ~ Vibes

TortNZ

Christchurch
Not sure if this is for me.
I’ve had Evo checked out at the vet and at 58 g the vet was happy.
I have also been told on this forum that 58 g she is a little small. She put on 28 g in a months but I think she was very dehydrated. I will keep an eye on her weight.
I take her weight every 2 weeks and tomorrow is the next due day.
Does anyone else thinks Evo is to heavy?

Vibes

South Florida
Not sure if this is for me.
I’ve had Evo checked out at the vet and at 58 g the vet was happy.
I have also been told on this forum that 58 g she is a little small. She put on 28 g in a months but I think she was very dehydrated. I will keep an eye on her weight.
I take her weight every 2 weeks and tomorrow is the next due day.
Does anyone else thinks Evo is to heavy?
sorry i miss read, Evo is a yearling i thought she was a hatchling. So she is a little under wieght but she should be fine, try to give her a little more food and water, MAKE SURE SHE IS EATING AND DRINKING THE EXTRA FOOD/WATER. ~ Vibes

TortNZ

Christchurch
Ok, she is not a he biggest eater. She loves corn and could eat it none stop but she is not suppose to have it.
How much should a yearling weigh? Also what size should she be?

Vibes

South Florida
Ok, she is not a he biggest eater. She loves corn and could eat it none stop but she is not suppose to have it.
How much should a yearling weigh? Also what size should she be?
Every tort grows differently, if your vet says he’s ok than don’t stress to much. Just try to give her a little more food, by day. Then when you feel she has gotten to a right size I would just call up your vet to make sure she’s At a healthy size. :)

TortNZ

Christchurch
Have taken Evo’s measurements and weight. She had gone up by 11g in two weeks and now weighs 97g.??

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Try to answer the questions Tom asked, and I especially was wondering if the enclosure is too small so she may not be getting enough exercise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
another way to get her calcium is letting her bask in the sun every day for 15-30 minutes. 15 minuets in the sun is equal to 6 hours under a UV light, its crazy!
This is inaccurate. I just don't want anyone to misunderstand this.

They don't get calcium from UVB. They are able to convert dietary D2 into D3 using UVB in warm skin, and D3 is needed to utilize dietary calcium.

Also, UV levels from today's current HO type tubes can surpass the levels they would get from mid day summer sun. So much so, that we have to be careful not to over-do it with some bulbs. I'm getting a UVI reading of 7ish under my indoor tubes, and most of the day I can only get a reading of 2-3 directly in our winter sun at mid day. My current scenario would be the reverse of what you stated in your post.