Can my tortoise come with me to a new country if I have a license?

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa
Hello! So as a lot of you probably know, I live in South Africa, and I want to move to a different country, I did read a thread saying it is difficult (https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/moving-to-another-country-with-your-tortoise.185947/) and better to just get a new tortoise, but I would like to take my tortoise with me if possible, since I've grown quite fond it the little thing

In my country it is illegal to own a tortoise unless you have a license to own one, but I wanted to know, once I get my license, am I able to take my tortoise with me out of the country (let's say the country I'm moving to allows reptile imports such as tortoises), am I allowed to take my tortoise with me, especially since I have a license for it, or is that not the case?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You would have to check with the country you are moving too and what their laws or requirements are.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! So as a lot of you probably know, I live in South Africa, and I want to move to a different country, I did read a thread saying it is difficult (https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/moving-to-another-country-with-your-tortoise.185947/) and better to just get a new tortoise, but I would like to take my tortoise with me if possible, since I've grown quite fond it the little thing

In my country it is illegal to own a tortoise unless you have a license to own one, but I wanted to know, once I get my license, am I able to take my tortoise with me out of the country (let's say the country I'm moving to allows reptile imports such as tortoises), am I allowed to take my tortoise with me, especially since I have a license for it, or is that not the case?
You already read the answer in the thread you linked. It hasn't changed. Find a "broker" that deals wit shipping animals in your country. They are the only ones who can tell you how difficult and expensive it is.

For those reading:
International movement of live animals is exceedingly difficult, expensive, and problematic, and it gets worse every year. Find and hire an experienced animal broker. They will understand what is needed and they know how to work the ever-changing and extraordinarily complex system. I've used Pacific Pet Transport with success in the past, just as one example of the type of company that I'm talking about.

It will be far easier, less risky, and less expensive to leave your tortoise in its home country and get a new one wherever you are going.