Can my tortoise eat maringa leaves as something all the time or should I feed in moderation

Tortok

Location (City and/or State)
Vietnam Ho Chi Minh
Can my tortoise eat moringa leaves as something regular or in moderation. Also can my tortoise eat dragon fruit

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I can't comment on moringa leaves as I have not heard of anyone feeding them.
Dragon fruit depends on whether your tortoise is a species that should be fed fruit as part of their regular diet. If you have a forest tortoise then it can be fed in moderation.
Fun fact about dragon fruit is that they have one sweet side and one less sweet side when ripe.
The side that has the leaf like protrusions spaced further apart got more sun on the plant and will be delicious. The side with more compact leaves will be less sweet and at times even bland and horrible.
When I feed dragon fruit I always keep the nice side for myself ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can my tortoise eat moringa leaves as something regular or in moderation. Also can my tortoise eat dragon fruit
What species?

Yes they can eat mornings leaves, no they should not eat them every day. Torts need variety in the diet.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

There really isn’t anything your tortoise should all day, every day; they need variety. Moringa is a “good” food but even good foods need some rotation. I wouldn’t see a problem including it as something regular, just keep in mind that it should be rotated.

You don’t have any posts telling us what kind of tortoise you have so as said above unless you have a fruit eating species your tortoise shouldn’t eat it or at best have only a little bit on the rare occasion. Most tortoises digestive systems simply aren’t built to digest sugars and it makes them unwell. (Fun fact for today, dragon fruit the fruit of a cactus, not unlike the fruit/aceitunas that grow on prickly pair/nopales cactus. The fruit of the prickly pair is eaten by desert tortoises in the wild while in season so it’s not necessarily a never feed for that species.)

You might be able to find some of the foods on this list; there are plenty of great foods found in Southeast Asia that we don’t have in North America or the U.K. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...land-malay-indo-etc-diet.165957/#post-1605308