Can my tortoise eat this grass/weeds?

Edible?

• Total voters

Jazmyne

Location (City and/or State)
Sherman oaks, CA
Hello, im new to the site and i have an urgent question that i cant find answers to...so currently i have 3 yearlings, and one teen. We are moving to a new home that has "grass" i have never seen before. But around the edges it has what looks like longish burmuda. Im concerned idk what this type of grass is or if its weeds, if its safe. Anyone have some answers for me? Please thank you.

IMG_2565.JPG IMG_2566.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, im new to the site and i have an urgent question that i cant find answers to...so currently i have 3 yearlings, and one teen. We are moving to a new home that has "grass" i have never seen before. But around the edges it has what looks like longish burmuda. Im concerned idk what this type of grass is or if its weeds, if its safe. Anyone have some answers for me? Please thank you.

The prominent weed in the first pic is mallow. Mallow is an excellent tortoise food. I can't tell what the others are, but those big round leaves above the others are mallow.

I need a better pic of the other one. I can't make out the details. Looks like it might be filaree, but I can't tell for sure from your one pic.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I agree with Tom. Definitely mallow and the other one looks like filaree. But a better pic would help us be positive, maybe a clear one from directly above.

Bambam1989

East Texas
If it was filaree, can they have it?
The whole lawn is full of that. But i will post a better picture
Yes. Filaree is safe, but there are a couple of bad weeds that look similar to it when they are small.

Jazmyne

Sherman oaks, CA
Here are some more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_2580.JPG
    IMG_2580.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2581.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2582.JPG
    IMG_2582.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2583.JPG
    IMG_2583.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2584.JPG
    IMG_2584.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2585.JPG
    IMG_2585.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 45

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here are some more pictures
I can't tell. Does it make little purplish flowers and grow long spike looking things? Do a search for filaree and see if that looks like your weed. Or take a sample down to the local nursery and ask the resident plant nerd to ID it for you.

Look like you need to water that mallow patch. It is great tortoise food and you'll want to encourage more of it.

Lopenator

Ny
I'm getting confused between creeping Charlie and mallow now

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
creeping charlie has more rounded edges:
creeping-Charlie-leaves-big-5815fb105f9b581c0bc3136e.jpg

mallow displays more serrated edges:
common-mallow-1-338x600.jpg

Lopenator

Ny
Does it grow little stickers that get in your socks? Are the stalks and stems white and fuzzy?
I will get home twenty minutes and check it out. Until then, is horehound safe? Cause I already fed some to my tortoise

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Are you sure? Looks an awful lot like the horehound that grows here.

Hmm. That is true. A iochroma question, perhaps. They are related and I find the Tortoise Table’s caution on horehound a bit unsupported, but best to avoid until one is certain in that case. Thank you for pointing that out.

Where do you find that growing in your area @Tom? In the shade or everywhere? I see very little of dead nettle or its relatives around here unless I go up a bit in altitude/dampness. Just curious; I will want to look for it.

Last edited by a moderator: