Can my tortoise eat this...

GaryTheStreetTort

Happy New Year friends!
I live in the US, Midwest (Ohio). This is growing everywhere around me! I'm not certain what it is... Does anyone know?
If so, is it tortoise safe? I have a russian, Gary. We are creating his outdoor enclosure for the summer--He is obviously not out there yet, for a number of months, but I don't want to allow anything to grow in his enclosure that he shouldn't eat! Side note, the plant in the picture is growing in mulch, but there will certainly not be mulch in his enclosure.
I know you're first few photos have to be approved, so if you can't see the picture, I'm hoping that's why!!!

IMG_0296.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It looks familiar, but I can't place it. Let's send a shout-out to @Iochroma

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Sure looks like moneywort to me. AKA Creeping Jenny. Have lots of it growing around my pond. Not toxic to turtles and tortoises.

GaryTheStreetTort

@Markw84 I thought so too! But this doesn't flower, and it grows in clusters. See pictures below (I think they post below lol) The big one is right next to the smaller one I originally posted. I may have a varient of creeping Jenny! I think I might try it myself and see. It doesn't have any of the poison plant red flags one would typically look for. If it's good and tortoise friendly, I hope he likes it...because we have a ton!

Attachments

• IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 17

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Markw84 I thought so too! But this doesn't flower, and it grows in clusters. See pictures below (I think they post below lol) The big one is right next to the smaller one I originally posted. I may have a varient of creeping Jenny! I think I might try it myself and see. It doesn't have any of the poison plant red flags one would typically look for. If it's good and tortoise friendly, I hope he likes it...because we have a ton!
Creeping Jenny does grow in clusters and spreads from those clusters. Mine does not flower a lot, but the flowers are not real noticeable sometimes - yellow and about the same size as the leaves, which can also sometimes be yellow. Both of these picture look like my creeping jenny.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I think it's one of the "cresses" - Cardamine or a related thing in the mustard family. Edible, but a bit hot for some palates.