Can my turtle/tortoise hear? Does he need a friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There is no doubt at all that turtles can hear. Turtles have ears with a
complete vibration gathering system, the auditory nerve, and brain area to process the information. All they lack is the external ear, but that's the same with many other animals, such as many birds and fish. The chelonian auditory system is very similar to that of sharks. They apparently can hear very low frequently vibrations.

Although chelonia lack vocal cords, some tortoises are known to make sounds when they are courting and mating. These sounds are in the range that humans can hear. So we can say that turtles can hear and produce sounds.

What they lack is the mammallian need to bond with others of their kind for purely social reasons. Wild turtles can encounter each other in passing as they find a good food source or body of water. And, of course, sex is a motivator to meet and greet. Otherwise they don't seek each other out. In captivity, things are very different. Ideal conditions for a particular activity (eating, soaking, sleeping, basking...) will usually be found in only one or two areas of the habitat. So the turtles will naturally seek out those areas that provide the best conditions. That's why you frequently see turtles grouping up in captivity. Even in the wild you will see water turtles--including different species-- sitting on the same log, sometimes piled up on each other. The log provided the perfect conditions, and several area residents will locate it for that reason.

Turtles aren't mammals. They are not held, fed, comforted, taught, and loved by parents. They do not need an instinct to bond. They don't need "friends" except to mate. Studying nature makes turtles and other animals **more** interesting. We don't have to misinterpret their behavior to be more like mammals just because we understand mammals better. (After all, we are mammals ourselves. <g>) It's absolutely fascinating to observe turtle behavior and try to understand it from **their** perspective as reptiles. It's more difficult, obviously, and more intellectually challenging to do this. But it's rewarding and actually much more intriguing IMHO than viewing them simplistically as little people or cold-blooded puppies. :)

Mary at the turtle Puddle
<http://www.turtlepuddle.org/>

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
They do not need an instinct to bond. They don't need "friends" except to mate.
I don't mate with my friends.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very well said .......Indeed!

Although ......I sometimes wonder if they do communicate or aware of each others "intentions" ( other than mating) as not only I have seen torts come way across the pen to "upright" a fellow pen mate who has flipped. But more rare ...on several occasions I have one particular female who loves to climb and has figured out how to scale a brick wall. The wall being 20" or so now ......She has " ONE" and ALWAYS the same one (another female)...who will meet her in the corner and act as a ladder ....She climbs on the other females back and tries to scale the wall . It's amazing to watch ...and as mentioned I've seen her do this more than once.

JD~:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's always the exception that proves the rule. :p Also, redfooted tortoises seem to be excluded from the do-they-need-a-buddy thing. They get along very well in groups.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dmmj said:
emysemys said:
They do not need an instinct to bond. They don't need "friends" except to mate.
I don't mate with my friends.

Maybe you need cuter or drunker friends...presumably of the opposite gender, of course...

But, you are Captain Awesome, so I have faith that you'll work it out. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.