Can red clawed crabs live with red eared slider turtles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobi

5 Year Member
I have two aquatic turtles, one red eared slider and one yellow belied slider. The RES is about 4 inches long and the the yellow bellied slider is about 6 inches. I was wondering if I could have a small red clawed crab with them. I want to have something to help keep the tank clean because my turtles are messy eaters. I tried a pleco once but the turtles got to him. I was wondering if I should try a bigger one or if a crab would be ok.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
You can try either one (the crab or a bigger pleco) but just know that it's very possible that eventually the turtles will "get them".

Danny

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Red claw crabs will not survive long term in fresh water. They are a brackish water animal that exists in mud flats and river estuaries in the wild. It would not work to keep the sliders in brackish water, and also the crabs need to be able to get out of the water and are major escape artists - so my answer on the crabs is no.

There really are no animals that keep tanks clean. Plecos produce more poop than they are worth, as do most bottom feeders. Plecos also need to be fed. They will not live off poop and extra food alone for very long. They need a diet of both plant matter (zucchini slices, etc.) and meat of some sort. They only eat algae as adolescents. Tank maintenance is up to the keeper, plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.