Can red foots eat blueberries?

amyrothmeyer

I bought a berry fruit salad at my local grocery store and it has blueberries in it. However I don't really care for them and was wondering if I could feed them to my red foot tortoise so that none of it goes to waste?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Yes. Mine LOVE blueberries. They wouldn't eat them the first few times I offered them but now they get attacked as soon and I put them in.

amyrothmeyer

Great thanks :) I will give her some tomorrow :)) my tort is pretty apt to try things at least once :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Great thanks :) I will give her some tomorrow :)) my tort is pretty apt to try things at least once :)

Just rinse them really good. A lot of salad manufacturers spray the fruit and veggies with chemicals to keep them from wilting so fast and you don't want your tort eating that stuff.

amyrothmeyer

I will wash them thoroughly. I wash all her greens and fruit before offering them. Thanks for the advice though :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
NO! Never feed blueberries!!!!
Oh man, say you didn't!
Sigh....well, if you did now you've done it.
Blueberries are like crack for red-footed tortoises. Now yours will demand them all them time.
Just don't ever experiment with fresh mango. Then you'll really be in trouble!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Huh...well what the heck? My Redfoots never eat blueberries. I am going to try agin to offer them. They love mango, kiwi, strawberries, and bananas.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I purchase the frozen bags of "mixed fruit" at the grocery store and thaw some out for a treat and ad it with food. There are different kinds of berries in there. (UNSWEETENED)
This way, I always have some on hand and in the freezer they'd last 100 years.
Good tip though: Many times if a Redfoot is offered something that it really loves, they may go on a hunger strike until they get it again.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Good tip though: Many times if a Redfoot is offered something that it really loves, they may go on a hunger strike until they get it again.

This is why I don't mix my fruit with my veggies. Meal time is always greens/Mazuri/chicken.. I save my fruit for afternoon snacks.

Every now and then, the day or two after eating fruit, they will not eat the greens. I believe this is them throwing a temper tantrum wanting more fruit but I will not give them any more u till they eat their greens. Sometimes they go 2 days without eating greens but I don't cave, hunger gets to them and they eat right again.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
NO! Never feed blueberries!!!!
Oh man, say you didn't!
Sigh....well, if you did now you've done it.
Blueberries are like crack for red-footed tortoises. Now yours will demand them all them time.
Just don't ever experiment with fresh mango. Then you'll really be in trouble!

Lol! Blueberries are like crack!!
I keep bags of frozen organic blueberries in the freezer. The torts devour them.

Lexiii

CT
My little guy won't touch fruit. Neither will my kids. :p

Lexiii

CT
I've tried berries, kiwi, strawberries...he has no interest.

Kids....watermelon yes, and strawberry shortcake. I buy bags of stuff and I end up eating it all.

smb

This is why I don't mix my fruit with my veggies. Meal time is always greens/Mazuri/chicken.. I save my fruit for afternoon snacks.

Every now and then, the day or two after eating fruit, they will not eat the greens. I believe this is them throwing a temper tantrum wanting more fruit but I will not give them any more u till they eat their greens. Sometimes they go 2 days without eating greens but I don't cave, hunger gets to them and they eat right again.
redfoot tortoises can eat chicken?