Can RES lay eggs in sand?

Rynan

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I made my females a nesting box in a 25 gallon bin filled with organic top soil but boy the mess it makes. I clean my filter twice a day and the water just goes from clear to muddy in seconds. My question is can I actually provide a nesting box with just aquarium sand? Seems cleaner

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I made my females a nesting box in a 25 gallon bin filled with organic top soil but boy the mess it makes. I clean my filter twice a day and the water just goes from clear to muddy in seconds. My question is can I actually provide a nesting box with just aquarium sand? Seems cleaner
They should, but oddly enough, mine never used sand pits, but preferred the slightly tougher soil.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you post some pictures of the setup? I don't know about the sand by itself as nesting material...for fresh water turtles.

JTH

5 Year Member
East Lansing, MI
Keep in mind that although many turtles will nest in a sand substrate, this is not a dry sand— it has to have sufficient moisture to hold together when the female digs her nest cavity, and retain sufficient moisture throughout incubation to prevent the eggs from dessicating.