Can Russians have pumpkin guts or pumpkin?

John Franzwa

Hey i was wondering if my Russian Shelly could have some pumpkin guts. She will only get them today and maybe next year.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, you can feed all of the pumpkin. It is a natural dewormer too. I feed it all year to my leopards and Russian. I freeze it and then will feed now fresh, then again in the spring and a couple times during the summer when the weather is more rip for getting parasites.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. I prefer to grate it on a cheese grater for russians and mix it in with greens, but adults can eat it in chunks too.

John Franzwa

Yes, you can feed all of the pumpkin. It is a natural dewormer too. I feed it all year to my leopards and Russian. I freeze it and then will feed now fresh, then again in the spring and a couple times during the summer when the weather is more rip for getting parasites.
Yes. I prefer to grate it on a cheese grater for russians and mix it in with greens, but adults can eat it in chunks too.

Thanks all she loved it!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the pumpkin seed not the pumpkin flesh is a natural dewormer the seeds contaim a certain chemical that can kill parasites but it takes a lot of it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have a question, sorry to but in on this thread. I keep hearing that the seeds are a dewormer. But I guess I don't have the right kind of machine to grind them up. I try to put them in my blender and my itsy-bitsy food chopper and it doesn't work. Any suggestions? My tortoises are too small to eat them whole.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have a question, sorry to but in on this thread. I keep hearing that the seeds are a dewormer. But I guess I don't have the right kind of machine to grind them up. I try to put them in my blender and my itsy-bitsy food chopper and it doesn't work. Any suggestions? My tortoises are too small to eat them whole.
eating them whole will not help they just passed through the gut undigested ( the reason seeds exist). You need a very powerful blender